Applications for Fall 2020 are now open. Have questions? Contact our Future Students' Office at 604-599-3030 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Creating social media campaigns, handling reputational crises, writing and producing content, and organizing well-attended events, are just a few of the common communications tasks that public relations (PR) professionals perform on a daily basis.
Successful PR practitioners are savvy communicators who combine storytelling, media production, business strategy, design, marketing and branding to reach and persuade audiences. They are creative and strategic thinkers, with excellent writing skills.
KPU's Diploma in Public Relations will teach you to excel in this expanding field. Our graduates are working at Canada's top agencies, in-house at major employers, and pursuing exciting consulting careers in this fast-paced and growing industry.
Our courses can also be taken as electives, and are an excellent compliment to studies in business and arts.
Our experiential two-year diploma will appeal to you if:
- You’re creative, and have a passion for communication and connecting with people;
- You have strong reading and writing skills (or are willing to develop them);
- You have a desire to make a positive impact on society through ethical communication;
- You want a program that puts you on the path to both a diploma AND a degree.
KPU PR students learn the theory and practice of public relations, and develop their natural skills and abilities to become excellent communicators. Experiential learning projects and optional co-op placements help to develop and reinforce a wide range of skills:
- Planning strategic communications based on thorough research and evaluation;
- Writing professionally for social media, print, online and broadcast;
- Building and managing relationships with media and influencers;
- Designing communication materials, taking photos, shooting video, producing podcasts;
- Planning and executing events;
- Managing issues and defusing crises;
- Engaging stakeholders and consulting with communities;
- Managing organizational communications and building organizational culture.
PR education at KPU is complemented by study in business fundamentals, Indigenous studies, ethics, marketing, and general electives. Graduates are prepared for careers in the growing field of PR and professional communications, or continuing their studies in a Bachelors of Business Administration (e.g. Marketing) or Bachelor of Arts degree program (e.g. Journalism or General Studies) at KPU.
Our cutting-edge curriculum is based on the Global Alliance for Public Relations and Communication Management’s Global Capabilities Framework and Global Body of Knowledge, and is developed and revised in consultation with an advisory committee consisting of top PR practitioners from industry, government and the nonprofit sector.