Kwantlen Polytechnic University (KPU) supports students in their journey to success with numerous scholarships, bursaries and awards, made possible through the generosity of individuals, corporations and foundations who believe in education as a means to building community and creating a vibrant social and economic foundation for our society.
Many students struggle financially while obtaining their education. With the average full-time tuition at more than $3,000 annually, in addition to other essentials such as books, course materials, housing and other living costs, students often find it challenging to complete their education – and when they do, many graduate with substantial student debt. Student awards not only ease the financial burden students face, but also provide encouragement and incentive to strive for academic excellence and complete their programs.
There are three types of awards:
- Scholarships are granted on the basis of academic merit, enabling KPU to attract and retain the best students.
- Bursaries provide students with limited financial means opportunities to obtain a KPU education.
- Awards make it possible to honour student excellence based on criteria created by the donor, including academic performance, community service, and financial need.
KPU’s vision is to be an innovative, transformative and ambitious university that inspires students to excel in their careers, lead in their communities, and succeed in their lives. Your gift will serve to strengthen that inspiration, and motivate our students to achieve their very best at KPU and beyond.
Naming an Award
Establishing a named award is a meaningful way to honour a loved one, commemorate a special occasion, or create a legacy. KPU is pleased to offer donors the opportunity to name an award with a family or individual name, a company name, or a community group name. The name you choose often has special significance to your student recipient, who can draw inspiration from the story behind the name.
There are two methods of funding a Named Award:
- Endowed Award: The donor makes a lump sum gift to create an endowment fund. The award is funded through interest generated from the capital in the endowment. To create an endowment that can provide a $1,000 award annually, a minimum gift of $20,000 is required.
- Annual Award: The donor makes a gift each year in the amount of an award. A minimum annual gift of $1,000 is required, and must be pledged for at least five years.
We work with you to tailor selection criteria that reflect your objectives and interests, and will provide a suitable and lasting way to appropriately honour the name you have selected.
Please contact us to discuss your intention to create a named award.