University horticultural science courses are interesting, engaging and rewarding but have a heavy workload due to weekly mandatory labs and hands-on training. As this is the case, we recommend you review the appropriate course plan for your first year to keep your school-work-life balance, to ensure prerequisites for future semesters are met and to ensure success in all of your courses.
Some KPU Horticulture courses have prerequisite (registration) requirements. If you are missing any of these or are unsure how to proceed, schedule an appointment with an academic advisor or call 604.599.2828 for "first year course planning and prerequisites"
For general information on how to check your registration time, registering for courses, paying your tuition and buying textbooks visit kpu.ca/advising/new-students.
Please be advised students will need to purchase the following equipment prior to the start of their studies:
Horticulture Student Equipment List:
- CSA green triangle steel toe workboots (ankle boot recommended)
- Tightfitting work gloves - no leather, no gauntlet loose cuffs, NO LATEX!
- Outdoor weather proof work wear: Waterproof, sealed seams ( eg: Helly Hansen, Pioneer, Wetskins. NOT Gore-Tex --it doesn’t work when dirty).
- Personal safety eyewear (Safety goggles/Polycarbonate safety lens).
- Handheld professional quality bypass pruners ( only required in some courses)
- Hats to protect from cold, rain, sun.
Please see the following resources to assist you with your course planning as a first-year student in one of the following Diploma programs: