- As part of the Canada Green Building Council, the Integrated Design Process (IDP) was used in the design of the Surrey Campus expansion. IDP is a design method intended to produce buildings with significant reductions in energy demand and water use, while providing improved indoor environments and healthier building sites.
- These projects use LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) principles. LEED has higher performance standards in environmental responsibility and energy efficiency.
- A portion of the building’s electrical energy will be supplied by renewable resources.
- Tech will utilize environmentally friendly and non-toxic cleaning chemicals, continuing Kwantlen's practice of green housekeeping.
Energy & Resource Consumption
- Energy performance of the building is targeting a performance of better than 30% of the ASHRAE 90.1 standard.
- Photovoltaic Solar Wall contributes a portion of the building's energy.
- Zero use of CFC and HCFC-based refrigerants to reduce ozone depletion.
- A portion of the building’s electrical energy is supplied by renewable resources (green power certificates) Energy & Resource Consumption, cont.
- Building orientation and landscaping were developed to optimize energy performance of the building.
- Extensive building system commissioning ensures electrical and mechanical systems are installed and calibrated for optimal performance.
- Waste management plan implemented to recycle/salvage 75% of construction waste.
- Central recycling area with easy access to the building loading dock.
- At least 50% of building materials are manufactured locally.
- Up to 80% of storm water contained on the roof to reduce run-off.
- Low-flow toilets, waterless urinals, and sensor-controlled faucets account for a water use reduction of approximately 30% over baseline conditions.
Indoor Environmental Quality
- Materials with low embodied energy, offgassing of toxins and VOC levels are used throughout the building.
- Natural ventilation supplied by operable windows and the use of the skylight as a central air chimney.
- Building will continue Kwantlen's practice of 'green’ housekeeping, adopting a program that utilizes environmentally friendly and non-toxic cleaning chemicals.