Metro Vancouver, B.C. – Kwantlen Polytechnic University’s (KPU) Board of Governors welcomed six new board members this fall, three of whom are community members. Two re-appointed board members and one re-elected member will also remain on the board.
The three newly appointed community members include:
- Hanne Madsen, an accomplished senior executive with over 20 years of experience in strategic planning, operational oversight, human resources management and financial analysis.
- Bruce Wendel, principal of Allied Blower and Sheet Metal Ltd. (Surrey) and former president and CEO of Tristar Industries Ltd., a manufacturing company based in Delta.
- Chris McCue, a KPU environmental protection technology grad who holds over two decades of experience as a consultant and specialized contractor in waste water treatment and technology applications.
Both Madsen and Wendel will serve on the board until July 31, 2015. McCue will begin his one-year term Dec. 31.
Third-year information technology student Upinder Chahal was also elected to serve on the board until Aug. 31, 2015. An international student studying at KPU, Chahal is currently completing his co-op term as a support analyst with Sierra Wireless.
The board’s faculty representative Marc Kampschuur was elected to the board for a three-year term, beginning Sept. 1. In addition to teaching tax, audit and financial accounting at KPU, Kampschuur is a Chartered Accountant, lawyer and Certified Fraud Examiner.
KPU’s second chancellor Dr. George Melville has also assumed a seat on the university’s board of governors. One of Canada’s most distinguished entrepreneurs, the chairman and owner of Boston Pizza International will hold his seat for the length of his installation as chancellor.
Returning to the board are:
- Vice-Chair Lisa Skakun – Coast Capital Savings’ first general counsel and a member of its senior executive team. She was appointed to the board in July 2012.
- Harpreet Bhatti – owner of Harpreet Bhatti & Co., a Surrey-based accounting firm. Bhatti currently serves on the board of the Certified General Accountants of B.C. Surrey/Delta/Langley chapter, is the Surrey Crime Prevention Society’s Treasurer and was appointed to the board in August 2013.
- Richard Hosein – one of the board’s two student representatives, and currently part of KPU’s policy studies program. He is also a member of the university’s Environmental Sustainability Committee.
The KPU Board of Governors is empowered by the University Act of British Columbia. The management, administration and control of the property, revenue, business and affairs of the university are vested in the board.
For more information, including board member bios and photos, visit: kpu.ca/governors.
Kwantlen Polytechnic University has been serving the Metro Vancouver region since 1981, and has opened doors to success for more than 250,000 people. Four campuses—Richmond, Surrey, Cloverdale and Langley—offer a comprehensive range of sought-after programs, including business, liberal arts, science, design, health, trades and technology, horticulture, and academic and career advancement. Over 19,000 students annually have a choice from over 124 programs, including bachelor’s degrees, associate degrees, diplomas, certificates citations and apprenticeships. Learn more at www.kpu.ca.
Headshots: (From left) Hanne Madsen, Chris McCue, Upinder Chahal, Marc Kampschuur, Dr. George Melville.
Media Specialist, KPU