FAQ | BSc: Major in Biology


What are the program admission requirements for the BSc Major in Biology?
The Faculty's Admission Requirements, which consist of KPU's undergraduate English Proficiency Requirement, apply to this program.

When are the admission deadlines?
The BSc Major in Biology is a Selective Entry, Open Enrolment program and follows the application deadlines found in the Admissions Guide. Students may apply for the Fall, Spring or Summer semesters.

I am interested in the BSc Major in Biology program. How do I apply?
If you are new to KPU you can apply by filling out the online application at kpu.ca/apply. When asked for your Program of Study, select “Bachelor of Science Major in Biology”. Current students may change their program by completing a Program Status Change form found at: https://kpu.ca/admission/adm-forms.

I have applied to Kwantlen but am currently in another program. How do I change my major to the BSc Major in Biology?
You may submit a Program Status Change form that is found at: kpu.ca/registration/forms. You do not need to reapply to Kwantlen or pay any additional fees. Admission to the program will be based on meeting the program admission requirements.

How many seats are offered?
Students are granted entrance into the program based on successfully meeting all of the admission requirements. We do not currently have a limit on the number of students that will be accepted into the program.

Can I apply to Year 2 or Year 3 of the program?
Yes, you may apply to enter the BSc Major in Biology at any point in the program as long as you meet the program admission requirements. Keep in mind that all required courses outlined in the Academic Calendar must be taken in order to graduate, and in many cases are prerequisites for upper-level courses. Therefore, it is highly recommended that you meet with an advisor to determine if there is any missing coursework and to develop an academic plan.

I do not meet the program admission requirements. Can I still take classes that can be used towards the Biology degree?
Yes, as long as you meet the course prerequisites you may take individual courses required for the Biology degree at the same time as you are upgrading to meet the program admission requirements. Please speak with an educational advisor to discuss course planning and upgrading options. Once you meet all of the program admission requirements then you will need to reapply to the program by submitting a Program Status Change form.

Who do I speak with about upgrading?
An educational advisor will be able to help you review your previous coursework and recommend an upgrading pathway. You can make an appointment to meet with an Academic Advisor through Advisor Connect or by calling (604) 599-2828. You can also send your questions through an email. For prospective students, please email study@kpu.ca, and for current students, please email UpgradingAdvising@kpu.ca

What courses do I need to take for the BSc Major in Biology?
Detailed program information can be found online in the official Academic Calendar. Please consult with an academic advisor to ensure that you are aware of all course and graduation requirements.

I have previous coursework that I have already completed. Can I use this towards the BSc Major in Biology?
In many cases previous coursework may be used towards the BSc Major in Biology. If the courses are coming from another institution you should apply for transfer credit. Please visit kpu.ca/transfercredit for more information on this process. Once transfer credit is evaluated an educational advisor will be able to help you evaluate which courses you have remaining.

I have an Associate of Science degree or transfer credits from another institution. Can I enter directly into year 3 of the Biology program?
We welcome Associate of Science degree and transfer students to apply to the BSc Major in Biology program. Depending on the classes that you took in your first two years of studies you may be required to take additional coursework at the first- and second-year level. You should meet with an educational advisor to review your previously completed credits and determine any missing coursework. For transfer credits completed within BC you can also consult the BC Transfer Guide at www.bctransferguide.ca to see how your courses will transfer to Kwantlen.

I didn’t take any biology courses in high school. Can I still apply for the BSc Major in Biology?
Yes. A passing grade in Biology 11 or 12 is recommended for students wishing to pursue the BSc Major in Biology, but it is not required. In your first semester of the program, you will take Biology 1110, for which there are no prerequisites.

Which courses are required in the first two years of the BSc Major in Biology?

YEAR 1 (36 credits)

  • BIOL 1110 and 1210
  • CHEM 1110 and 1210
  • ENGL 1100
  • MATH 1130 and 1230 
  • PHYS 1101 and 1102
  • Select 3 credits of ENGL at the undergraduate level

YEAR 2 (35 credits)

  • BIOL 2320, 2321, 2322, and 2421
  • CHEM 2320 and 2420
  • MATH 2335
  • Select nine credits of Electives 

You can see the full list of classes at the university calendar.

Can I complete the BSc Major in Biology on a part-time basis?
Yes, however not all courses will be offered each semester, particularly in the second year and beyond, so care should be taken when course planning. Please consult the online timetable to see when courses are being offered. These can be found at: kpu.ca/registration/timetables.

How many courses are students required to take per semester?
This program may be completed on a part-time basis, with as little as one course to as many as five courses per semester. Of course, this will impact the length of time required to complete the degree. Students should review the registration timetable regularly to see which semester courses are offered in and consult regularly with an advisor.

Which campus is the BSc Major in Biology based on?
First and second year courses are offered on both the Surrey and Richmond campuses, although some courses are offered at each campus on a rotating basis, depending on the semester. A limited number of science courses and electives may also be available at the Langley campus. It is anticipated that all third- and fourth-year courses will be offered at the Surrey campus. Please check the online timetable to see when and where courses are being offered each semester.

Can I graduate in four years?
The BSc Major in Biology has been designed so that it may be possible for a student to complete within four years of acceptance into the program if they are attending on a full-time basis and start in the Fall semester. Please note that not all science courses are offered every semester, so it is important to carefully plan your courses in a sequential manner, paying particular attention to course prerequisites. You should also consult with an educational advisor regularly.

How much does it cost to complete the program?
Current information about tuition and fees for our programs may be found online in the academic calendar: Tuition Estimator. The Health Science degree is a minimum of 138 credit hours (depending on elective courses chosen), and a student completing the degree on a full-time basis within four years (at two semesters per year) would take approximately 17-18 credit hours per semester.

Are scholarships and financial assistance available?
Kwantlen offers many scholarships and awards to students. Further information about these opportunities may be found on the Student Awards and Financial Assistance webpage: kpu.ca/awards. You may also meet with a Student Awards and Financial Assistance advisor in person or speak with them on the phone.

What kinds of jobs can I get with a BSc Major in Biology?
The BSc Major in Biology prepares students for entry into a diverse range of employment opportunities in fields such as Marine Biology, Environmental Impact Assessment, Fisheries, Wildlife and Habitat Conservation, Genomics, Proteomics, Molecular Biology, the pharmaceutical industry, the biotechnology industry and the consulting industry (environmental and technical). In the public sector, graduates may find jobs within the municipal, provincial and federal governments, and at universities, colleges, and secondary schools.

Will this program prepare me for further studies to become a: doctor, veterinarian, dentist, chiropractor, pharmacist, optometrist, teacher etc.?
Depending on the elective options chosen, graduates will be eligible to compete for entry into any Canadian health professional program, graduate studies program, or teacher certification program. Please meet with an educational advisor to review course requirements for the specific professional pathway you wish to pursue. Students should also conduct further research on the necessary requirements for their chosen profession.

How do I become a high school teacher in BC?
Upon completion of the BSc in Biology, you can apply to one of the universities in BC that offers a teacher Professional Development Program (PDP). For a list of approved BC Teacher Education Programs, visit https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/education-training/k-12/teach/resources-for-teachers/training-and-professional-development/teacher-education-programs. For further information, meet with an educational advisor.

I’d like to learn more about this program. Who can I speak with?
For information about course planning, make an appointment to meet with an Academic Advisor through Advisor Connect or by calling (604) 599-2828. You can also send your questions through email