Letters of Permission

A Letter of Permission may be requested by KPU students who wish to take courses at another post-secondary institution to transfer back to their program at KPU.

In order to be eligible to take courses at another institution with a Letter of Permission, a student must be in good academic standing at KPU, have a minimum cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.0, have completed nine semester credit hours of study at KPU, and have no outstanding fees on their student account.

Approval will be granted on the understanding that:

  1. The student must obtain a grade of D (50% or 1.00) or better in each course in order to receive credit at KPU. Note: courses graded C- or less cannot be used as prerequisites or credit for certain programs.
  2. An official transcript from the institution designated must be sent to KPU Admissions upon completion of the courses.
  3. If a change in course(s) other than those approved is required, the onus is on the student to submit a new Letter of Permission request.
  4. Grades earned at other institutions will not be calculated in the Kwantlen Polytechnic University Institutional grade point average.
  5. The onus is on the student to determine how each course fits into their program. For assistance with course / program planning, please contact an Academic Advisor. Appointments may be made online at Advisor Connect.


Letter of Permission request forms can be found at kpu.ca/ses/forms. Once completed, they can be submitted to Student Enrolment Services on any campus, or by email to admissions@kpu.ca.