The Department of Academic and Career Preparation offers developmental education in two areas:
- Adult Upgrading for students wishing to improve literacy and/or numeracy skills, or complete the BC Adult Graduation Diploma.
- Qualifying Studies for students who may already have completed high school and simply need to upgrade their skills to qualify for undergraduate programs.
Qualifying Studies Program Overview
Kwantlen Polytechnic University's (KPU) Qualifying Studies courses assist students with career and university preparation by meeting entrance requirements for undergraduate studies, trades and career programs. Through KPU's Pathway, students complete their upgrading to meet KPU's English proficiency requirement while also working toward their intended undergraduate program.
Student Financial Assistance
Students may apply to the BC Adult Upgrading Grant (AUG) for funds to cover tuition and other expenses.
ACP also offers trades qualifying courses in conjunction with the Faculty of Trades and Technology. To upgrade your English or math skills in order to pass the Trades English or Trades Math Assessment apply for our Continuous Intake Adult Upgrading courses.
How do I get in?
- Book a free ACP English assessment, a free ACP Math assessment at a Student Enrolment Services counter, and/or show high school transcripts.
- Apply in person for ACP Continuous Intake (CI) courses. For ACP Fixed Intake (FI) apply online.
- Receive test results and book an appointment with the ACA Academic Advisor.
- Register for courses and start your studies.