PCIEN offered on the Surrey campus in Spring 2024!
We will be offering the Introduction to Professional Communication for Internationally Educated Nurses program on KPU’s Surrey campus starting on January 9th, 2024 and finishing on April 11th, 2024.
PCIEN is a performance-based course designed to assist internationally educated nurses improve communication for entry into professional practice; expand health and idiomatic vocabulary; and increase understanding of culturally expected behaviours of the Canadian health care system.
The approach includes:
- Communication practice (language and behaviour) of role-plays: clients, families and health teams
- Coaching of role-plays
- Filming of rehearsed and unrehearsed role-plays
- Use of standardized patients/actors
- Feedback and self-reflection
Who is eligible?
- Canadian citizen, Permanent Resident, Convention Refugee
- Occupational certification as an RN, LPN or RPN from source country
- Meet language requirements (IELTS 6 or CLBPT 6.5, Duolingo 95, or equivalent)
- Ability to commit to the full program over 13 weeks
Individuals who do not meet all the requirements may be considered with permission of instructor.
Internationally educated RNs, LPNs or RPNs who meet the eligibility requirements can be registered in this tuition-free 13-week course running 2 evenings per week.
|Orientation Week||January 9 & 11 (in person)|
|Start & End Dates||Tuesday, January 9 – Thursday, April 11|
|classes||Tuesday and Thursday (in person) 6:30-9:20 pm ; plus online asynchronous modules|
If you are interested and would like to find out more, please contact KPU at PCIEN@kpu.ca or by telephone at 604-599-2321.
To attend an online information session, click on one of the links below to register: