Loans, Renewals & Returns for Employees
***Important Changes Coming September 2019***
Renewals & Loan Periods
Employees will be fined at the same rate as students. Details can be found at http://www.kpu.ca/library/services/library-fines.
This change to our policy means that all our users are treated equally and also encourages everyone to return items in a timely manner. We want students and employees alike to have access to our material rather than it languish in a forgotten pile!
Material on loan to you will no longer be recalled. When an item is borrowed or renewed you will have it for its full loan period. If a hold is placed on it, you will not be able to renew it and you will accrue overdue fines every day until it is returned.
Library Privileges for Employees
- Eligible to get a KPU Card as soon as an employee record is created by Human Resources
- Borrowing privileges as outlined below under Loan Periods & Renewals
- Onsite and offsite access to Research Databases
- In person, email and live chat reference help
- Library instruction for your students - book it now!
- Access to a liaison Librarian
- Add materials to the Course Reserves collection
- Complete list of Library Resources for Faculty
- Employees who have retired from KPU are eligible for a Lifetime Borrower Card. Previous employees who did not retire from KPU may be eligible for a Community Borrower Card.
Renew your materials at
My Library Account or at the Service Counter.
All Library notices are emailed to your KPU email account. Check for information on your holds, overdues & recalls.
Loan Periods & Renewals
- You must have your KPU Card with you to borrow.
- There is no limit on the number of items you can have on loan at one time.
|Item||Loan period||Renewals||When Can I Renew?|
|Books||4 months||1||30 days before due date|
|Journals & Magazines||1 week||1||4 days before due date|
|DVDs & Videos||3 days||1||3 days before due date|
|Music CDs||1 week||1||4 days before due date|
|Course reserves||Various loan periods||none||Renewals not permitted|
|Reference materials||In library use only||none||Renewals not permitted|
|Equipment||Various loan periods||1||Varies by loan period|
What if someone else puts a hold on your book?
- You can keep the book for the first month of the loan, no renewal allowed.
- If you've already renewed and someone else puts a hold on your book, your renewal due date will be shortened and you'll receive a recall notice asking you to return the book.
- Replacement costs will be charged for materials that are not returned promptly.
Library materials can be returned at any campus library regardless of where they were borrowed and can be put in the outside Book Bins after the library is closed.
Return course reserves and equipment at the campus they were borrowed from.
Return equipment to staff at the Equipment Counter.
Once an item is 120 day overdue, it will be assumed lost and the employee will automatically be billed the replacement cost of the item plus a $20 processing fee. If the item is returned quickly and in good condition, the replacement cost bill will be cancelled but not the processing fee.
I'm Sure I Returned It
Use the Library Borrowing and Fine Questions Form if you believe you have returned your library material but it is still showing as on loan to you.
What happens then:
- The Library will conduct a search at each campus for the item.
- While the searches are taking place, you'll no longer see the item in the list of checkouts in your library account.
- We will email your KPU email account to let you know the result of each search.
- If the item is not found, we'll conduct a second system wide search a week later and email you the results.
- If the item is not found, we'll conduct a third system wide search a week later and email you the results.
- If the its is still not found, you will be billed the replacement cost of the item.
While the Library is conducting searches for the item, we encourage you to check around your home or car to see if the item might have inadvertently been left behind or slipped out of sight.
Material Not Returned or Outstanding Bills Not Paid
Failure to return library material or pay replacement costs will result in the loss of library privileges.