Loan Periods | Library
Loans, Renewals & Returns for Students
Currently Enrolled Students:
- Eligible to get a KPU Card 1 month before their class start date
- Borrowing privileges
- Onsite and offsite access to Research Databases
- In person, email and live chat reference help
- Access to study rooms
- KPU WiFi
- KPU student computer network
- Complete list of Library Services for Students
Previously enrolled students:
For 4 months after the last day of classes, previously enrolled students have the same privileges as current students except for offsite databases, ejournals & ebooks.
After 4 months, Alumni library services are available to those students who have graduated from a KPU program.
All Library notices are emailed to your KPU email account. Check for information on your holds, overdues & recalls.
Loan Periods & Renewals
- You must have your KPU Card with you to borrow.
- There is no limit on the number of items you can have on loan at one time.
|Item||Loan period||Number of Renewals||Renewing||Not Renewable|
|Journals or Magazines||1 week||1||Automatically renewed|
|DVDs & videos||3days||1||Able to renew 3 days before due date. Renew your materials via My Library Account or at the Service Counter.|
|Music CDs||1 week||1||Automatically renewed|
|Equipment||Various Loan periods||1||Varies by loan period. Renew your materials via My Library Account or at the Service Counter.|
|Course Reserves||Various Loan periods||None||Renewals not permitted|
What if someone else puts a hold on your book?
- You can keep the book for the 28 day loan period, no renewal allowed.
- If you've already renewed and someone else puts a hold on your book, your renewal due date will be shortened and you'll receive a recall notice asking you to return the book.
- Borrowing privileges will be suspended if recalled material is not returned promptly.
****Starting September 1, 2019****
Material will no longer be recalled from you when another patron places a hold on an item you have on loan.
What does this mean? When you borrow or renew an item, you will have it for it's full loan or renewal period. You won't be able to renew the material if there is a hold on it, and fines will accrue if it is not returned by the due date. See Overdues & fines.
Library materials can be returned at any campus library regardless of where they were borrowed and can be put in the outside Book Bins after the library is closed.
Return course reserves and equipment at the campus they were borrowed from.
Return equipment to staff at the Equipment Counter.
I'm Sure I Returned It
Use the Library Borrowing and Fine Questions Form if you believe you have returned your library material but it is still showing as on loan to you.
What happens then:
- The Library will conduct a search at each campus for the item.
- While the searches are taking place, you'll no longer see the item in the list of checkouts in your library account.
- We will email your KPU email account to let you know the result of each search.
- If the item is not found, we'll conduct a second system wide search a week later and email you the results.
- If the item is not found, we'll conduct a third system wide search a week later and email you the results.
- If the its is still not found, you will be billed the replacement cost of the item.
While the Library is conducting searches for the item, we encourage you to check around your home or car to see if the item might have inadvertently been left behind or slipped out of sight.
Third Party Authorization Form (for student use only
To authorize a third party to use your KPU Card and/or access your personal KPU Library information, you must fill out the Third Party Release for Library Information and Transactions form and submit it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Note your signature is required on the form.