KPU Library offers support to instructors and students by providing instruction for library research skills. We can help teach students about the library and basic research skills. We incourage instructors to integrate one or some of these options into their courses. There are three options for library research skill instruction:
1. Online Resources you can incorporate into your Moodle course.
KPU Library continues to offer a variety of online tools to help students acquire basic academic research skills.
- A module-based approach to learning research skills built in Pressbooks.
- Each module contains videos and interactive H5P exercises.
- You can link to the full book or incorporate parts of it into your course site.
- You can also integrate four quizzes into your Moodle Grade book.
- Coming in 2022: students will be able to earn a micro-credential with badge for this tutorial in Moodle
- A Pressbook-based tutorial with interactive H5P exercises.
- You can incorporate parts of the book into your course site at the point of need, or assign the tutorial independently.
- Students receive an electronic badge, which is visible to instructors, if they successfully complete quizzes for the four parts and submit an Academic Integrity declaration in Moodle.
- A general introduction to library research with videos and activities for your students.
- See other Subject Guides for virtually any course at your fingertips.
- Your liaison librarian may be able to create a customized guide for your course, upon request.
- These guides can be embedded into Moodle. You can do this yourself or ask your liaison librarian to do it for you if you give them temporary instructor access to your Moodle course.
- Sample course guide embedded into Moodle
- A series of short videos to introduce students to library resources that you can embed into Moodle. Topics include searching the catalogue, finding articles, and other library resources for students.:
- More library videos, including subject and database specific ones, are on the Library’s Kaltura channel. A selection of these is also on our YouTube channel.
2. Synchronous library research skills workshop in Zoom or Big Blue Button
- To book a synchronous session, or to discuss additional ways we can support student learning asychronously, please contact your liaison librarian.
- Note: a synchronous workshop for one section can be recorded for later viewing by students in the same or other sections. Students must be made aware that the session will be recorded before the class.
3. In-person library research skills workshop
- Face-to-face workshops can take place in a library computer lab, or in your classroom.
- To book a session, please contact your liaison librarian.
A note about library assignments:
Please discuss with your liaison librarian if you would like students to complete some form of assignment/assessment for any of these forms of instruction.