The Bachelor of Technology in Information Technology (BTech in IT) program allows students to earn a bachelor degree that prepares them for employment in the IT industry in Canada or for graduate school. The BTech in IT degree offers courses in computer hardware, operating systems, computer networks that lead to CISCO certification; computer security, server systems, virtualization and cloud computing, wireless networks, web programming, web design, web application development, mobile and social media application development, IT program management and entrepreneurship. Graduates of the program will work as system administrators, systems analysts, networking professionals, software developers, web developers, mobile app developers, and IT project managers.
Students may apply to start the program in the summer semester but should note that course offerings may be limited. They are advised to consult a business degree advisor for course planning assistance.
Specific features of this program include:
- Recently revised curriculum with contemporary course content
- Specializations in computer network administration and security and mobile and web application development that provide focused, in-depth training in key IT areas
- Practical projects in most courses
- Course offerings during the day and in the evenings for Fall, Spring and Summer semesters provide maximum flexibility for student schedules
- Year-long capstone project course provides opportunities for advanced research and to work with real projects from industry
- Co-op opportunities with wide range of employers while earning a degree
- Professional networking opportunities to prepare for employment after graduation
This degree is designed for students interested in pursuing a career in one of the many fields within the Information Technology sector. At a minimum, students entering the program should have completed high school MATH 11 Foundations with a C+ or a KPU equivalent MATQ qualifying course or have achieved an equivalent result on KPU's Math Placement Test.
Graduates of this program may find employment in the following areas:
- Enterprise network system administration
- Information system security
- Web design, development and integration
- Mobile software application development
- Software analysis design and development
- Software quality assurance, testing and validation
- Enterprise resource planning (ERP) systems implementation
- Project management
- Hardware and software technical support
- Wireless systems development