Learners will demonstrate entry level Licensed Practical Nurses (LPN) knowledge, skills and abilities under the guidance of a LPN preceptor in a health care practice setting in the lower mainland of BC. Preceptors are assigned by the health authority and dependent on availability. All clinical placements are at the discretion of the health authorities, and are secured through the Provincial Health Sciences Placement Network (HSPnet). Students are not permitted to solicit their own placements, as KPU is required to secure placements through HSPnet only. Please note: Lower Mainland is considered to be any hospital from Squamish to Hope, BC. Learners are responsible for their own transportation. Learners are responsible for fitness to practice, prior to registration.
This is an offsite course and placements are secured only in BC Lower Mainland hospitals and will include evening and weekend shifts for 250 hours, approximately 8 weeks. Learners are only placed on acute medical or surgical units. Placement locations only include hospitals within the Vancouver Coastal Health region, Fraser Health Authority region or Providence Health region, therefore, learners should expect to travel to placement locations. For placement outside of these three regions please contact our office. Placement start dates will occur at any time during the semester following registration. Start dates are determined by the hospital units that accept the placement and are dependent on the health authority assigned preceptor's schedule and are not adjustable by the learner. Start dates can occur at any time during the semester and beyond. It is recommended that learners reside in the lower mainland following registration for Consolidated Clinical as placement start dates can be short notice and often there is unit specific training required prior to starting the placement. Training dates for this specific unit training can be limited. Once placed, the learner will mirror their preceptor's work schedule until the 250 hours are complete, this can include evening, weekend and holiday shifts. Learners are not permitted to seek their own placements/preceptors as all placements will be arranged by KPU's Professional Studies office utilizing the provincial database HSPNet. Please note: Learners who do not accept the placement location as assigned will receive non-mastery in the course and the course fee will not be refunded, there are no exceptions.
$2,000.00 CAD, plus GST (Please note: All Faculty of Health, Professional Studies course fees are non-refundable/non-transferrable.)
Successful grade for this course is Mastery
Learners who are not successful in PNUR 9034, LPN Consolidated Clinical are required to contact their Canadian Nursing Regulatory Body for advisement if they are not successful after their first attempt. Second attempts are not permitted. No exceptions. Please note, there is no appeal mechanism within KPU for students receiving non-mastery.
Permission from the Professional Studies Faculty of Health office is required prior to purchasing a seat for clinical
Applications will be accepted on a first qualified basis as long as seats are available. There are no waitlists. Once seats sell learners will need to reapply when the next course opens for registration. Learners must meet all entrance requirements and have all prerequisites prior to applying to this course. If you are uncertain or don't meet the requirements stated below we strongly recommend completing any applicable testing before applying.
To be eligible to register, all learners for PNUR 9034 LPN Clinical must have a current assessment (not older than two years) and have addressed all recommended education. This requirement can be satisfied by one of the following:
- Completion of KPU Competency Assessment and Enhancement for Nurses’ (CAEN) assessment and have successfully mastered all education recommendations as identified in the subsequent CAEN Report. The assessment date on the report must be current in the last two (2) years. If the CAEN results are older than two years, learners will need to complete a new CAEN; OR
- Completion of a NCAS assessment and have successfully mastered all educational requirements as identified in all steps of the letter/email from BCCNM. If the learner has not mastered all of the identified education, with the exception of LPN Consolidated Clinical, as noted in the letter from BCCNM, then registration for clinical is not permitted. Learners are not eligible to purchase a seat in clinical if they have outstanding coursework as seats are not held in clinical and there are no refunds or transfers in Professional Studies Health. The original NCAS Assessment result letter/email must be current in the last two (2) years. Extensions granted by BCCNM are not considered current for clinical. Learners will be required to complete a CAEN if their original NCAS letter/email is more than two (2) years old.
Once eligible for clinical, all learners registering for PNUR 9034 must have in their possession the following prerequisites in order to proceed with registration; related costs are the responsibility of the individual learner:
- Proof of CPR Level C Canadian certificate or higher; CPR certification must remain valid for the duration of the placement.
- Proof of Immunizations consistent with the requirements of clinical agencies. If a learner does not have immunization records available, please print the Immunization form provided and have it authorized by a medical doctor to confirm proof of the stated immunizations Immunization Form.
- Proof of full COVID-19 vaccination consistent with the requirements of clinical agencies. Student's vaccine status along with the dates of when your vaccine was administered will be uploaded to HSPNet prior to placement submission - please submit your government issued COVID-19 vaccine passport along with photo ID to confirm proof. Students who do not have full COVID-19 vaccination or do not have proof of such will not be permitted to register for clinical. See PHO order
- Valid Canadian Negative TB Screening (skin test is valid for six months, x-ray is valid for one year), results must be valid for the duration of the placement. The TB testing must have been completed in Canada. If the TB results are expiring during the semester, they must be renewed prior to registration. Registration will not proceed if the TB results expire prior to the end of the semester in which the learner applies.
- Signed Confidentiality Agreement
- Signed HSP Consent Form Consent Form for Use and Disclosure of Personal Information
Learners must complete this resume
Clinical Resume Form.doc
form only, other resume formats will not be accepted. The resume form is to be emailed as an attachment in WORD format (please do not convert to PDF) along with all the other scanned prerequisites. Please include any Professional Studies courses that have been successfully mastered in the section titled "Additional Education/Post Graduate". When listing experience, start with all LPN experience first, both employee and student experience and then if there is other health care related experience please include that information. Email address to send the document to is email@example.com
- Learners are required to complete Fit Testing prior to registration. The Fit Test records must be valid for the duration of the placement and should be completed in BC to ensure the correct N95 mask size is available. Health Authorities in BC currently use 3M 1860S, 3M 1860 and 3M Aura 1870+. To register for Fit Testing at KPU, please visit our Fit Testing website for details. If learners are intending to be fit tested at KPU, please ensure the fit testing appointment occurs prior to submitting the prerequisites for registration. A fit testing record from other agencies is accepted provided the N95 model is the same as utilized in BC.
- Please include a copy of the email from BCCNM outlining the NCAS results. If learners completed a CAEN with KPU, a copy of the report is not required.
- Please include a copy of the signed Policy form found on our homepage if not previously sent.
- Please include a valid KPU student number
- Please ensure to set up the KPU student email address. All CPS students are issued a KPU student email address. Send all prerequisites via KPU student email address only. The KPU student email address is required for HSPNet and all placement communication is only done via student KPU email address. To set up the KPU student email address visit one.kpu.ca
In addition to the prerequisites listed above, all learners registered in PNUR 9034 will require a clear criminal record check from the Ministry of Public Safety; related costs are the responsibility of the individual learner:
- The valid Criminal Record Check (CRC) issued by the BC Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General is submitted through KPU's Faculty of Health, Professional Studies office once learners have purchased a seat for PNUR 9034. CRC requests will not be processed if the application for clinical is incomplete (i.e. any of the prerequisites are expiring during the semester the learner intends to register for, or the learner has not completed all the recommended education in addition to clinical.) There is a $28 fee payable via visa or mastercard only that must be submitted at the time of application and is payable to the BC Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General. Debit and Visa debit cards are not accepted. Learners will require two pieces of valid ID. One piece of ID must be any government issued (BC Driver License preferred) and display the learner's current legal name, date of birth, signature and photo, no exceptions. If valid ID cannot be produced, registration will not proceed, see step five (5) below for further details.
How to Register for the Consolidated Clinical Course (PNUR 9034)
Prior to purchasing a seat in the clinical course, learners will need to be eligible for clinical and have obtained all the prerequisites listed above, and be in possession of all required documents. If learners are missing any of the prerequisites noted above or have not yet mastered the recommended education do not proceed to step two. Permission to purchase a seat is required from the Professional Studies Faculty of Health Office. Do not purchase a seat without permission as there are no refunds for this course.
Upon confirmation of STEP ONE, open the registration system Elevate and search for PNUR 9034 to determine if registration is open and if seats are available (do not purchase a seat at this stage).
- If registration is open and there are seats available for purchase, please scan all the prerequisite noted above and forward to our office via email from learner's valid KPU student email address.
- If learners are missing any of the prerequisites, do not send the email as authorization will not be granted to purchase a seat. Please note, there are no refunds for course registration.
Within a week (unless the office is closed for holidays), the Faculty of Health Professional Studies Office will contact the learner via email upon reviewing the scanned documents. All emails will be responded to in the order they are received, follow-up emails and phone calls are not required. Please enable email tracking options prior to sending the email if proof of delivery receipt is required. Duplicate emails are not required and delay response times.
- If any documents are missing or incomplete, learners will not be authorized to purchase a seat and will be notified
- If all documents are received, and are complete, learners will be advised of eligibility to purchase a seat in the course
- Learners must be available to complete the Canadian Criminal Record Check (CRC) process within one week of purchasing the course
- Only purchase a seat in clinical if completion of the CRC process is possible within one week of purchasing a seat
- Failure to apply for the Canadian CRC within one week of purchase, will forfeit the registration and no refund will be issued
- Please note, seats are sold on a ‘first come, first qualified’ basis and authorization from our office does not guarantee a seat will be available for purchase
When learners are ready and if seats are available, purchase a seat for the clinical course via Elevate.
If there are no available seats for the course, please refer to step one above. Authorization to purchase a seat in clinical applies only to the current semester in which registrations are being accepted as prerequisites expire.
Once a seat is purchased for clinical, please email our office using KPU student email address within 48 hours to notify our office so the Canadian CRC process can be started. The CRC process must occur within one week (7 days) of purchasing the seat.
- Due to COVID-19 the Canadian CRC process is currently completed online, any updates will be posted
- Learners cannot use a representative in their place
- Learners will be required to complete the Canadian Criminal Record Check forms provided by our office or follow the online CRC process
- The cost for the Canadian Criminal Record Check is currently $28.00 (CAD), payable by VISA or MASTERCARD only
- Learners are required to have two current pieces of government issued identification for this process.
- Please note, one form of government issued identification must include a photograph, signature, and birthdate
- Failure to complete the Canadian CRC process within one week of purchasing a seat for clinical, learners will forfeit their registration and no refund will be issued
Registration closes once all the seats are full or one month after the start of the course to allow enough time to place all students.
Current Course Schedule
Current course schedules are available on Elevate by searching for PNUR 9034 and on our home page under "Upcoming Courses". Please note: Start and end dates for individual placements are dependent on facility and external health authority assigned preceptor availability as approved in HSPNet which are outside KPU's control and may not coincide with semester dates.
Text Books/Course Materials
Reliable Internet access required. Wi-Fi technology not recommended for quiz/tests. Online course modality may not be fully functional when utilizing iPads &/or android devices.
Drug Guidebook – one of the following:
- Recommended: Lippincott Drug Guide (latest edition) OR
- Davis Drug Guide (latest edition)
Please contact our office via email