Skip to main content
KPU Surrey Campus

You are here

Academic Advisors

My Action Plan shows students their route to graduation



Provide all feedback and error reports via the MAP Feedback Form in SharePoint.
For urgent matters contact the Associate Registrar, Senate & Curriculum.
Do not contact the Graduation Unit with questions regarding the implementation of MAP.


Advisor Access to MAP

New Advisor – Access must be requested by the Manager of Central Advising, or Dean’s Office for Faculty Advisors, by contacting the Associate Registrar, Senate & Curriculum, who will forward the request to IT.
Departing Advisor – When advising personnel depart, the Manager of Central Advising or Dean’s Office must immediately revoke access by contacting the Associate Registrar, Senate & Curriculum, who will forward the request to IT.


How do I find specific students?

Either enter a student ID number…

Find using ID


…or use the Find window to define a group of students:

  1. Choose one or more parameters for Degree, Calendar Year, Major, Minor, Concentration, as appropriate.
  2. Click Search button to search the database for students meeting the condition(s).
  3. Click OK button to load the audit(s).

Load audits

Once a set of student is loaded, use the arrows by the Name field to scroll through the corresponding audits.

Navigating through audits


Adding Notes

Advisors may add Notes to a student’s file. Notes are permanent, and visible to the student, Academic Advisors and Office of the Registrar, so use discretion.

  1. Click the Note icon
  2. Choose one of the predefined notes as the root of your note… (Do not modify the wording of the root notes, as they’ll be used for searches and automated reports.)
  3. …elaborate on the predefined text as necessary
  4. Save Note


Applying Course Substitutions and Other Exceptions to Senate-Approved Graduation Requirements

Exceptions will only be applied by the Graduation Unit following receipt of an approved course substitution form or a memo granting extension of the time limit for program completion signed by the Dean or Associate Dean.
Any other exceptions must be approved by a Dean and the University Registrar. See the Office of the Registrar webpage for instructions.

Exceptions are applied in MAP for a particular student-program-Calendar Year combination. Exceptions cannot be applied until the student is accepted/declared into the specific program to which the exception applies. In other words, undeclared students cannot have exceptions applied and once an exception is applied it will not automatically apply if the student switches to another program or Calendar Year. For example, a course substitution for an upper-level elective in one Major will not apply if the student changes Major.

In cases where a student is being admitted with exceptional requirements, an individual audit can be created for a particular program. These student-specific conditions should be defined as part of the admission process. Consult with the Admissions unit within the Office of the Registrar. See the Office of the Registrar webpage for instructions


Below transfer credit maximum / Progression Check

As part of the ‘Credential' block, students are advised to see an Academic Advisor for a “progression check” if they are not “Below transfer credit maximum.” This will only occur if a student has transfer credits that are ≥ 50% of the credit total for the credential. The purpose is to check whether the transfer credits come from a previously granted credential, as KPU Policy AR16 sets a cap of 50% of credit for a credential from credits used towards a previous credential.

Enter a Note on the student record for the Graduation unit to see. State whether the limit should be 50% because the transfer credits come from a previously granted credential or the limit should be 75% because the transfer credits were not part of a previously granted credential. If it’s confirmed that the 50% threshold should be changed to 75%, as per Policy AR16, the Graduation Unit will enter an exception on the student’s audit so that they are shown as 'Below transfer credit maximum'.

Below transfer credit max


What's the Calender Year coverage of MAP?

All University Calendars from 2016-17 onwards are coded in MAP.
For programs where the requirements in 2016-17 were unchanged from earlier years, the MAP audit will automatically apply to students adhering to the earlier Calendar Years.
For programs with distinct requirements prior to 2016-17, MAP may not apply.


Will there be ongoing updates and improvements to MAP?

Yes, in the short term we’ll correct errors and where feasible make modifications to improve shortcomings. These will be made initially in the MAP-Test environment. Advisors may be asked to validate the update in MAP-Test (a URL will be supplied) before the changes are promoted to MAP-Production environment. The schedule for updates from MAP-Test to MAP-Production varies with number and importance of the accumulated changes. All future curricular changes will be coded and in place within MAP on the same schedule as the publication of the University Calendar.