The Office of General Counsel (OGC) represents the legal interests of Kwantlen Polytechnic University in all legal matters involving the University. We provide a broad range of legal advice and services including:
- conducting contract reviews, legal risk management and guidance on policy development;
- advising on legal and regulatory compliance including with British Columbia's Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and Canada’s Anti-Spam Legislation;
- providing representation in litigation and administrative proceedings, in the courts and other public bodies;
- retaining and overseeing outside counsel to provide additional expertise and representation where appropriate; and
- providing advice on governance and university and corporate best practices.
The lawyers, privacy officers and staff working within the office of the OGC exclusively represent KPU. Our office cannot provide individuals with legal advice on personal matters or provide any legal services that may be contrary to the interests of KPU.
The duty of confidentiality is a duty owed to the institution and not to any individual. If at any time a conflict of interest arises between KPU and an employee, the lawyers working within the Office of General Counsel will represent KPU.
If someone asks you to accept legal papers on behalf of KPU, you should refuse to accept them. Direct the person to the Office of General Counsel or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.