8 Month Farmer Training Program:
The Richmond Farm School’s base program is an 8 month farmer training program that provides students with a strong foundation in the principals, practices and production methods of regenerative and sustainable agriculture. Our educational fields include a wide range of production that include mixed vegetables, herbs, cut flowers and a mixed orchard. Our program covers a variety of topics and is taught by a diverse group of teachers who are experts in their respective fields.
Who is this program meant for?
Whether you’re a seasoned gardener looking to take your skills to the next level, a novice farmer wanting to gain more knowledge, or have never planted a seed in your life, Richmond Farm School will take you through a season equipping you with the skills and confidence to pursue a career in sustainable agriculture. Applicants must be 18+ by the start of class, there are no prerequisites to apply.
- Early March through late October (exact dates TBA)
- Every Saturday from 9am - 4pm (mandatory) + Friday farm working day
- Mandatory 30 farm work hours outside of class time
- 30 weeks in class and 3 weekends off = 33 weeks total program length
- 20 person cohort program - competitive, 3 stage application process
- 70% experiential, field-based, hands on learning and 30% theory based learning (mixture of lectures, group and individual activities and individual projects)
- Students will receive a 10’x10’ personal plot that will be theirs to grow on and manage
- Students receive an estimated value of $500 worth of produce during program duration
- "Certificate of Completion" upon fulfilling minimum attendance requirement throughout the program
Program Class Subjects:
- Market Crop Production
- Soil Science
- IPM: Integrated Pest Management
- Seed Saving
- On-Farm Construction
- Cut Flower Production
- Mixed Orchard Management
- Indegienous Food Systems
- Medicinal Herbs
- Business Planning
- Farm Management
$3,000 *Pricing valid for 2022 and subject to change
A non-refundable $1,000 is due after acceptance to the program.
No extra fees for textbooks.
If you want to take the next step in pursuing a career in farming, KPU Richmond Farm School offers graduates of the 8 month farmer training program the opportunity to apply for our second year incubator farming program! Upon the approval of your submitted business plan, incubator farmers will gain access to land, water use, tool and machinery sharing, and continued mentorship for up to 3 years.
You will be solely responsible for managing your own operation on your allocated plots, and for all aspects of planning, budgeting, implementation, growing, and selling of your produce.
You will also be joining an ever growing community of diverse farmers and teachers, be provided with learning opportunities, classes and workshops, receive continued mentorship and provide mentorship to new students entering the program.
Option 1 - ¼ Acre Plot - $2,000
Option 2 - Micro Plot (25’x25’**) - $900
*Pricing valid for 2022 and subject to change
- Lease for a minimum of 1 year, maximum of 3 years. Contracts reviewed and renewed annually, approval not guaranteed
- Tool Share Access: Hand tools, wheelbarrows, flame weeder, Jang and Earthway seeders, weed whacker, walk behind tractor etc.
- Onsite Washrooms
- Mandatory monthly group mentorship sessions + mandatory individual mentorship sessions
- Discounted compost rates - $20 per yard *based on availability
- Not Included - Fuel for farm machinery