Personal Safety Tips
These are general precautions will help you feel and be safe. You will find the following tips helpful, especial at night, not only while attending classes but your off-campus activities.
- Consider buying a backpack for carrying books. This allows your arms to be free.
- Wear comfortable clothing that allows you to move and shoes that you to easily run or kick.
- Be aware of alternate or escape routes and safe places.
- Consider enrolling in a self-defence course that covers emotional, verbal and physical self-defence. Be aware of your options and develop skills in using them.
- Do not expose expensive jewellery, money or the contents of your purse or bag.
- Plan your route and avoid shortcuts through dark, untraveled areas. Take the most direct, frequent travelled route.
- Walk with companions whenever possible and be aware of approaching strangers.
- Be cautious with personal information
- Trust your instincts. If a situation feels threatening, leave and/or seek assistance.
- Familiarize yourself with locations of phones. Because it may be a pay phone you are using make sure you always have Quarters.
- When working alone at night consider staying in contact with Security when possible or other colleagues or friends
- Consider personal security devices that emit a loud sound.
Safe Walk Program
Safe walk is a Campus Security program. This will provide escorted walks on all KPU campuses. By contacting security you will be accompanied on you walk to and from your car. If security is not available use the principle "safety in numbers" or buddy system.
The Vancouver Police Department offers tips on personal safety, which you can find at this link:http://vancouver.ca/police/crime-prevention/for-individuals/personal-safety.html