Skip to main content

You are here

FAQs | Brewing & Brewery Operations

Thanks for your interest in the KPU Brewing & Brewery Operations (BBO) Diploma program! Below is a list of the most frequently asked questions, however, if you can’t find the answer to your question below, please email us at

What are the admission requirements for the Brewing Diploma program?

In addition to the Faculty's Admission Requirements, which consist of KPU's undergraduate English Proficiency Requirement, the following program admission requirements apply:

  • Portfolio Review
  • A minimum of 19 years of age by the first day of classes
  • Either: (1) Chemistry 11 with a minimum grade of C+ (or equivalent), and Level E1 as defined in the Math Alternatives Table, or (2) Recommendation by the Admissions Selection Committee.

If you have upgraded or attended any post-secondary institution, you must have an official transcript mailed directly to our admission office (photocopies not accepted). 

For more details, visit

How do I apply to the program?

Applications for Brewing and Brewery Operations Diploma program open on October 1st of each year. The early application deadline is March 1st, however, late applications may be accepted until July 1st if seats are still available. 

If you are new to KPU, you can apply by filling out the online application at Click "Online application" and create an account. When you get to the Program Selection page, choose Science and Horticulture under the Faculty area. Once the application session is open, the Brewing and Brewery Operations Diploma Program will be available in the drop-down menu. Once you have officially submitted your application, you must submit official transcripts and a portfolio.

Please review the Portfolio Submission instructions.  

What are the admission deadlines?

The early-bird admission deadline for the Brewing & Brewery Operations program is March 1st of each year. However, applications for KPU limited intake programs has been extended until July 1st or until full. Applications received after this deadline may be considered if there are still seats available. We encourage you to apply early as assigned course registration dates and times are determined by the date of your application. For further details on how to apply, go to

I am a mature student, do I still need to meet high school admissions requirements?

Yes, regardless of your admissions category, you must complete the required prerequisites or their equivalencies. Students who completed high school chemistry and mathematics more than five years ago are strongly encouraged to review the content prior to starting the program, whether it's reading a high school chemistry or math textbook, taking an upgrade course or a non-credit refresher course. 

I don't meet the program admission requirements. Can I upgrade?

Yes, KPU offers upgrading courses in English, mathematics and chemistry. For more information about upgrading, please contact the Future Students Office.

Most local school boards also offer high school courses through their adult education programs. Please check your local school board website for more information. 

I'm not done upgrading, can I still apply? 

Yes. Applicants have until March 1st to submit final transcripts for any courses they are upgrading. If upgrading extends beyond March 1st, applicants may be offered a seat, if one is still available. In your portfolio submission, it's important to mention that you are in the process of upgrading as this will be a factor in applicant selection. 

What is a 'limited-intake' program?

A Limited Intake is an application cycle in which a limit has been set on the number of students admitted. The BBO program is limited to a maximum intake of 35 students per cohort. We accept one cohort per year with classes starting in September. All other qualified students are placed on a wait list. If seats become available before the start of a new cohort year, they are offered to the waitlisted applicants. 

What do I include in my portfolio?

Your portfolio is your opportunity to set yourself apart from other applicants and consists of a cover letter, resume and letters of reference. For full portfolio requirements, download PDF instructions here or visit

Where is the program offered?

The Brewing Diploma program is based on the KPU Langley campus (approx. 45 minutes from downtown Vancouver) which is home to our 4,500 square foot, custom-built teaching brewery. Located in the beautiful province of British Columbia (BC) on the West Coast of Canada, our Langley campus is situated in the city of Langley near shops, restaurants, plenty of outdoor activities and a growing number of craft breweries, as well as being within driving range of some of the top craft beer destinations in North America. 

The campus is also easily accessible by public transit and there is a free student shuttle bus that operates between the Langley, Surrey and Cloverdale campuses.

Can I take the program on a part-time basis?

The Brewing Diploma is only offered as a full-time program (from September to April) and classes within each semester have been designed to complement each other and strengthen learning objectives and activities as you go. However, students can register as 'General Interest' and take up to 12 credits of Brewing classes (max. 4 credits per term) before having to formally apply to the Brewing Diploma. For more information about registering as a General Interest student, visit (Note: seats are reserved for full-time students in Brewing classes, so there is limited availability for Generial Interest students.)

How much does the program cost?

Tuition fees are assigned on a per-credit basis and students require 62 credits to complete the program. Including student fees, books, equipment, etc., this translates to approx. $9,000 per year or $18,000 CAD to complete the full two-year program for domestic students. Students who receive transfer credit pay lower fees. International students should contact for international student rates and fees. For more details about KPU student tuition and fees, visit Tuition & Fees or use our Tuition Estimator

Is this program eligible for student loans?

Yes, you can apply for student loans by visiting Please contact KPU's Student Awards and Financial Assistant (SAFA) office at

Are there any scholarships, bursaries or awards for the Brewing program?

KPU offers a variety of scholarships, bursaries and awards which are available to all students, as well as specific awards just for Brewing Diploma students. For a list of Brewing awards, click here. For more information on other available awards and application deadlines, visit the Student Awards Guide.

Does the BBO program offer a co-op program or work placement?

No, at this time the Brewing and Brewery Operations program does not offer a co-op or work placement. However, most of our students are able to find part-time work at local breweries while going to school and/or during the summer break.

Can I work while I’m in the program?

The BBO Diploma program is an intense program with a full course load. However, many of our students are able to hold part-time jobs between 15-30 hours per week. It’s also dependent on each individual student and managing their class work and study time.  

How do I find out when courses are scheduled?

BBO courses are typically scheduled Monday to Thursday. Click here to view current timetables or visit

Upon graduation, what will I do?

With the unprecedented growth of the craft beer industry and the huge demand for skilled brewers with an education in brewing science, there is plenty of employment opportunity for KPU Brewing & Brewery Operations grads. Most of our students are working in the industry before they graduate, however, KPU holds an annual Brewing Career Fair for BBO students where employers come to network with students and meet potential job applicants. For more information on careers after graduating, visit

Graduates from the Brewing Diploma program may also apply to the third year of one of KPU Bachelor of Business Administration (B.B.A.) programs. Students interested in pursuing further education at KPU should contact an academic advisor to plan their schedule and determine appropriate electives (KPU Advisor Connect).

What supplies do I need?

For in-person classes, CSA-approved footwear is required, along with course-specific safety gear, including personal protective equipment (PPE), which students will be advised of before September classes start. It is also encouraged that students have access to a personal computer, laptop or tablet and access to the internet for course work and accessing class Moodle sites and KPU services online.

What else do I need to know?

The BBO program involves a lot of physical movement, lifting heavy items (e.g., beer kegs, grain sacks, equipment parts — students must be able to comfortably lift 25 kg and move 75 kg), and standing for long periods of time in a hot brewery. There is also a lot of cleaning and sanitization of equipment, so students should be prepared for long, labour-intensive brewing days.

More questions?

Don't see the answer to your question on this page? Email us at or sign up for our mailing list to hear about upcoming information or Ask Me Anything sessions with our instructors and alumni.