KPU Counselling Services has moved to over the phone and online meetings with students at this time. If you would like to speak with an intake counsellor or your existing counsellor, please call 604-599-2828 for assistance. You can also email us at Counsellor@kpu.ca
If you are experiencing a crisis, please contact the BC Crisis Centre https://crisiscentre.bc.ca/get-help/ or get to the nearest hospital emergency department. Never hesitate to ask for help even during this challenging time – we are here to help you. Just remember that we may not be able to get to you right away so please be patient and use the crisis resources above if you can’t wait.
All of us encounter personal difficulties at one time or another, and earning a university degree or certification can be stressful. Our counsellors are available to help.
Reasons to visit Counselling Services
A Counsellor can help if these concerns or others are ongoing and affecting your academics, sleep, or motivation:
- Adjusting to university life and studies
- Feeling overwhelmed
- Relationship troubles
- Family issues
- Loss and/or grief
- Past experience of physical, sexual, or emotional violence
- Other mental health challenges
- Referrals from Early Alert
We can also make referrals to specialized help.
We run several groups throughout each academic year on a variety of topics and issues.
How to connect with a Counsellor
We run drop-in intake sessions from 10-12 and 1-3 from Monday to Friday at different campuses.
- Call us at 604-599-2828 and speak with one of our Counselling Assistants – they will provide you with information about the drop-in and where you can attend;
- Attend a drop-in session and fill out an intake form while you are waiting to see the Intake Counsellor;
- If you can’t wait, take the form away and bring it back when you are available;
- If the drop-in is full for the day, come back early on the next day that you are available;
- If you are experiencing a crisis, let the Counselling Assistant know.
|KPU Langley||KPU Richmond||KPU Surrey||KPU Tech|
The office is open from 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM, Monday to Friday (the office is closed from 12:00 PM to 1:00 PM daily).
The office is open from 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM, Monday to Friday.
Main Building Room 160
The office is open from 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM, Monday to Friday.
The office is open from 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM, Monday to Thursday.
Crisis and After-hours Counselling
Phone: 604-872-3311 or 1-800-784-2433
Online Chat: crisiscentrechat.ca
Online chat is available from Noon to 1 AM in BC and Yukon only
KPU Counselling Services takes the protection of your privacy seriously. All information discussed during counselling sessions is considered private. We will not release information to anyone, including family and faculty, without your consent, with the following exceptions:
- Counsellors are required by law to report instances of clear and imminent danger to self and/or others and instances of current child abuse
- Counselling records may be subpoenaed by a court of law
- Counsellors may consult with colleagues to ensure you are provided the best care possible
If you have further questions or concerns about confidentiality, please ask your counsellor.