KPU's Counselling Services are committed to ensuring the health and well-being of students. Counselling Services offers both online and in-person sessions. If you would like to speak with an intake counsellor or your existing counsellor, please call 604-599-2828 for assistance. You can also email us at Counsellor@kpu.ca
If you are experiencing a crisis, please do one of the following:
- Contact the BC Crisis Centre https://crisiscentre.bc.ca/get-help/
- Access KPU’s 24/7 Student Support Program, My SSP
- Go to your nearest hospital emergency department or phone 911
Never hesitate to ask for help even during this challenging time – we are here to help you. Just remember that we may not be able to get to you right away so please be patient and use the crisis resources above if you can’t wait.
All of us encounter personal difficulties at one time or another, and earning a university degree or certification can be stressful. Our counsellors are available to help.
Reasons to Seek Counselling
A Counsellor can help if these concerns or others are ongoing and affecting your academics, sleep, or motivation:
- Adjusting to university life and studies
- Feeling overwhelmed
- Relationship troubles
- Family issues
- Loss and/or grief
- Past experience of physical, sexual, or emotional violence
- Other mental health challenges
- Referrals from Early Alert
We can also make referrals to specialized help.
We run several groups throughout each academic year on a variety of topics and issues.
How to Connect with a KPU Counsellor
We run drop-in intake sessions Monday-Friday on the phone and online..
- Just call us at 604-599-2828 and speak with one of our Counselling Assistants. They will provide you with information about the drop-in and how you can attend.
- If you are experiencing a crisis, let the Counselling Assistant know.
Keepme.SAFE’s My SSP provides all KPU students with 24/7 access to a large, diverse network of professional counsellors to match your unique circumstances with a counsellor who understands these experiences, in your preferred language and culture. Counsellors can provide immediate support and referral to address a range of concerns.
All KPU students can access My SSP by:
- Downloading the My SSP App available in the App Store or Google Play:
- Search for “My SSP” then choose KPU as your school plus your home campus and whether you are an international or domestic student; for KPU Tech just choose that.
- Or call: 1.844.451.9700; or from outside North America: 001.416.380.6578
- Or go to the MySSP website:
- For domestic students: http://mystudentsupport.com/
- For international students: https://keepmesafe.myissp.com/Home/UniversitySearch
- Choose KPU as your school on either site.
Phone: 604-872-3311 or 1-800-784-2433
Online Chat: crisiscentrechat.ca
Online chat is available from Noon to 1 AM in BC and Yukon only
The Province of BC's free, confidential 24/7 counselling and community referral service for BC post-secondary students
Canada-wide toll free, dial: 1-877-857-3397
Canada-wide direct, dial: 604-642-5212
KPU Counselling Services takes the protection of your privacy seriously. All information discussed during counselling sessions is considered private. We will not release information to anyone, including family and faculty, without your consent, with the following exceptions:
- Counsellors are required by law to report instances of clear and imminent danger to self and/or others and instances of current child abuse
- Counselling records may be subpoenaed by a court of law
- Counsellors may consult with colleagues to ensure you are provided the best care possible
If you have further questions or concerns about confidentiality, please ask your counsellor.