What is Traditional Chinese Medicine?
- Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) is an ancient Chinese medical system with over 2,000 years of history. Since it was first introduced into North America over 50 years ago, TCM has established itself as a well-respected, regulated health profession in British Columbia and other provinces across Canada. TCM includes many different therapies including acupuncture and Chinese herbal medicine.
What is Acupuncture? What is an Acupuncture Practitioner?
- Acupuncture is a stream of Traditional Chinese Medicine. it is used to treat acute and chronic illnesses, mainly through the insertion of extremely thin needles to stimulate an individual's qi (vital energy) and promote body functions.
What is an Acupuncture Practitioner?
- An Acupuncture Practitioner specializes in the stream of Acupuncture.
What is the regulatory body for TCM in British Columbia?
- In British Columbia, an acupuncture practitioner must be a registrant of the College of Traditional Chinese Medicine Practitioners and Acupuncturists of British Columb, CTCMA for short. The CTCMA is the provincial regulatory body of the TCM profession. For more information on TCM practice in British Columbia, please visit the CTCMA Regulatory website.
What is the Curricular Structure for TCM-AD?
- There are six (6) components to the TCM-AD program. These include:
- TCM Foundation
- Acupuncture Foundation
- Western Medical Science
- Acupuncture Therapeutics
- Clinical Practice
- The KPU TCM-AD program is a full-time limited intake program with 6 continuous semesters (Fall, Spring, Summer, Fall, Spring, Summer). It is 3 academic years, condensed into 2 full calendar years, and is run at KPU's Richmond campus. The program combines theory, simulation (labs) and extensive hands-on instruction aimed at developing essential clinical skills and abilities. The practicum component includes a series of supervised practice experiences in both simulated and real patient care environments. Students will also complete a clinical consolidation experience.
Please note: The Academic Calendar for TCM-AD is effective September 2019 to August 2020.
- Top -