In order to graduate:
- a student must apply to graduate;
- a student must complete all the requirements set by Senate for a credential;
- the Office of the Registrar must confirm the student has met all requirements;
- the Senate must confer the credential.
Each student must apply to graduate, regardless of whether or not they plan to participate in the convocation ceremonies.
Step 1) Ensure you are on track to graduate with your intended credential.
- Review your graduation audit in My Action Plan (MAP)
- If you intend to graduate with a different credential than is shown in your MAP audit, then you will need to declare your program.
- Do not apply to graduate until you have begun your final term/courses to complete requirements for your program.
- All requirements must be met with previously completed courses or courses in progress (CIP) before you apply to graduate.
- Any transfer courses needed for graduation must be processed by KPU before the grade deadline in your final term.
- If you need assistance interpreting your graduation audit or changing your program, see an Academic Advisor.
- For more details about graduation requirements, see the University Calendar and Policy AR16, Requirements for Graduation.
Step 2) Apply to Graduate once you've begun your final term of coursework and confirmed that you will be eligible.
Use the Apply to Graduate module in Online Self Service to apply to graduate.
Only if the Apply to Graduate module in Online Self Service does not show your program should you use the form
- Finishing in the Fall Term (September - December)?
- Apply between September 1 and October 31 and your credential will normally be conferred at the meeting of Senate at the end of January, making you eligible to participate in the June Convocation.
- If you apply from November 1 through December 31, your credential will normally be conferred at the meeting of Senate at the end of February, making you eligible to participate in the June Convocation.
- Finishing in the Spring Term (January - April)?
- Apply between January 1 and February 28 and your credential will normally be conferred at the meeting of Senate at the end of May, making you eligible to participate in the June Convocation.
- If you apply from March 1 through April 30, your credential will normally be conferred at the meeting of Senate at the end of June, making you eligible to participate in the February Convocation.
- Finishing in the Summer Term (May - August)?
- Apply between May 1 and June 30 and your credential will normally be conferred at the meeting of Senate at the end of September, making you eligible to participate in the February Convocation.
- If you apply from July 1 through August 31, your credential will normally be conferred at the meeting of Senate at the end of October, making you eligible to participate in the February Convocation.
- Credentials will mailed within 5 - 10 business days after your credential has been conferred by Senate and the Graduation Roll has been updated.
Step 3) As part of your application to graduate, you will indicate whether or not you wish to participate in convocation along with your classmates. (Participation is optional. All graduates will be sent their credential by mail.)
- Students must apply in order to participate in convocation. This is in addition to applying to graduate.
- Convocation ceremonies are normally held annually in February (beginning in 2023) and June on the Surrey Campus (For the duration of the pandemic, KPU is holding virtual Convocation ceremonies); the exact day and time of the ceremony for each Faculty and program is determined about 8 weeks beforehand.
- Approximately six weeks prior to your ceremony you will be sent an email confirming your attendance and with instructions to reserve your regalia online and get your guest tickets online (This is only for in person Convocation ceremonies. Tickets are not required for virtual ceremonies).
- For further information about convocation, see kpu.ca/convocation.
- All graduates will be sent their credential by mail.
- International students: If you plan to invite family from abroad to attend, please be sure to apply for the necessary travel documents for your family in advance. (For the duration of the pandemic, KPU is holding virtual Convocation ceremonies).
Step 4) Successfully complete any courses in progress, and watch for updates.
- Final qualifying begins the first two weeks of the month following the end of the semester. If you are being assessed for June graduation, final qualifcation will begin the first week of May and may take until the Senate submission deadline.
- Final qualifying begins after all final grades are received for all students - if you receive a final grade at an earlier time during the semester, your application will not be processed any earlier.
- The header of your MAP audit will show the status of your application.
- The Graduation Roll will be updated after each month's meeting of Senate to include all graduates whose credentials were conferred by Senate. Updates normally happen within two days following each Senate meeting.
- Two notices of assessment will be sent to your KPU email address - one when you have been assessed and your name will be going forward to have your credential conferred at the upcoming Senate meeting and the second one will be sent confirming your credential was conferred at the Senate meeting and you have now fully graduated.
- Credentials will be mailed within 5 - 10 business days following the Senate meeting.
Need a transcript that shows your credential?
- Once your name appears on the Graduation Roll you may order an official transcript that states the credential awarded.
International Students - need a Post-Graduate Work Permit letter?
- Once your name appears on the Graduation Roll your Post-Graduate Work Permit letter will be sent directly to you. Please contact KPU International directly by email at InternationalStudents@kpu.ca if you have any further questions.
Note: Use your KPU email account and include your student ID number when emailing firstname.lastname@example.org We only respond with personal information to KPU email accounts.