Job Title: KPU Farm/Garden Volunteer
If you are interested in learning more about growing vegetables and helping both maintain and establish an educational community garden then this is the volunteer opportunity for you. Spending time at our farm will provide you with hands-on gardening/farming experience and the opportunity to connect with the sustainable agriculture faculty, staff, and students while enjoying the outdoors. This is a great way to network and have the chance to connect in a meaningful way to the surrounding community.
Location: KPU Farm at the Garden City Lands
Department: Sustainable Agriculture
Effective Dates / Times
- This is an ongoing program that will continue until the end of the growing season, applications and start dates will continue throughout the year. Regular participation until the end of the season is preferred, but not required.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Attend and complete all work and safety training and orientation sessions conducted by the SAFS department.
- Conduct job duties assigned by the volunteer coordinator, which includes; starting seeds, weeding, transplanting seedlings, harvesting for market, maintenance of non-productive areas etc.
- Understand and comply with the safety policy in the workplace.
- Follow all instructions pertaining to tool usage and harvesting requirements.
- This is a collaborative environment and is strongly encouraged to do so with your fellow volunteers, the coordinator and KPU Farms staff.
- Passionate about food, agriculture, and/or gardening.
- We are looking for individuals who are self-motivated, who are also able to work in a team.
- Comfortable and prepared to work outdoors.
- No physical restraints
- Communication skills are an strong asset
- Experience gardening or on a farm
- Basic plant (weeds) identification.
- If you have any questions please email the outreach coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Records of hours volunteered are available upon request.