Please revist this website in early 2021 for next year's information sessions and application details.
See either the Work Exploration or Job Preparation Options web page for eligibility and more program details.
The Access Programs teach the essential skills to become successful students, capable employees and valuable members of the community.
Access Programs Department (APD) offers two ten-month options for adults with a permanent disability or a combination of learning difficulties that hinder scholastic success. Students will participate in classes and have the opportunity to explore a variety of work experiences. These program options prepare students for employment, volunteer work or further education. Each program option starts in September of each year and are full-time options on our Surrey, Richmond and Langley campuses.
- Work Exploration Option Students will explore work and continuous learning opportunities. They will increase independence in campus, community and work settings. Students will also develop essential skills through participation in a combination of employment-oriented classroom instruction and monitored work experience.
- Job Preparation Option Students will investigate and prepare for future work and academic opportunities. They will identify options for involvement in campus, community and work settings. Students will build essential skills through a combination of employment-oriented classroom instruction and monitored work experience.
By the time a student graduates from one of our programs, s/he/they will be able to:
- Demonstrate essential employment and academic skills
- Identify further opportunities for volunteer work, employment or education
- Develop plans for volunteer work, employment or education.
- Interview with an APD faculty member
- Learning difficulties that hinder scholastic success
- Satisfactory English proficiency as assess according to departmental guidelines in faculty interview
NOTE: All applicants are assessed and selected by APD faculty members. Meeting the minimum admission requirements does NOT guarantee admission.
Program-specific details are outlined in the program option sections listed above and visit the KPU calendar through this link.
APD program options are designed to develop work-related skills, increase self-awareness and increase self esteem. With instruction and training, students work toward realizing their employment and personal potential.
A Certificate of Completion is awarded to students who have successfully completed an APD option.