The experience offered by KPU Political Science goes beyond the classroom. We work to build a dynamic community of students, citizens, and scholars interested in the world of politics. Here are some of the activities and opportunities our students have enjoyed in recent semesters:
- The opportunity to go to Europe during the summer as part of a field school on European integration, with the possibility of an internship in a political organization in Europe. All part of the European Union Study Tour and Internship Program. Consult the website (https://www.uvic.ca/humanities/intd/europe/study-tour/index.php) and contact Conrad King for more information.
- Intern at the BC Legislative Assembly in Victoria (application deadline Jan.31). Consult this website for more information (https://www.leg.bc.ca/content-peo/pages/legislative-internship-program.aspx).
- Complimentary tickets and transportation to the Surrey Economic Forum featuring Bill Clinton and George W. Bush;
- The chance to organize, attend, and participate in a public debate featuring former BC Premier Bill Vander Zalm;
- Encounters and engagement with local Members of Parliament and Members of the Legislative Assembly of British Columbia;
- Publication of top student work in KPU's first undergraduate academic journal, The KPU Journal of Political Science;
- Presentations from representatives of the BC Treaty Commission, which oversees treaty negotiations with BC First Nations;
- The chance to meet and engage like-minded students and faculty via the Political Science Society of KPU (PSSK), a student club that organizes fun and enlightening events relating to politics. Check out our Facebook page!
- Organizing and participating in a public debate on electoral reform featuring former Special Advisor to the Premier of British Columbia, David Schreck
- Assisting in organizing, running, and attending a major joint international conference on "The Responsibilities of Non-state Actors in International Law"
We are presently collaborating with students to develop a Model United Nations.
Kwantlen Journal of Political Science
The Kwantlen Journal of Political Science, a production of The Political Science Club of Kwantlen, began publication in 2009 as KPU's first undergraduate academic journal. Every year, it publishes the finest papers produced in KPU's Political Science program, as identified by faculty in collaboration with the Journal's student editors. The Journal is entirely student-run and exemplifies the commitment to academic excellence by POLI students at KPU.
Have a read of our recent editions: