The Open Educational Resources (OER) Grant program provides funding and staff support to KPU faculty members interested in creating, adapting, and adopting OERs (and other types of Open Pedagogy).
In addition to enabling significant cost savings to students, it is hoped that through these grants faculty at KPU will gain the experience and expertise to ensure that OERs adopted at KPU are revised in a timely fashion and that their lifespan can be extended and tailored to meet our students' needs. Faculty will also gain awareness of the values and practices associated with open pedagogy and a critical appreciation of the reciprocal relationship between pedagogy and evolving OERs. Funded projects should ideally evaluate the impact (e.g., on students), including by conducting a study of student perceptions and/or impact on learning outcomes.
The grants are jointly funded by BCcampus and the Office of the Vice President Academic and Provost and adjudicated by the Open Education Working Group. Grant recipients receive funding, primarily in the form of student support, in addition to in-kind assistance through KPU Open Education, the Library, and Teaching & Learning Commons.
Regular faculty at KPU may receive an Open Educational Research Grant. The intent is to distribute funds to maximize direct benefits to a wide range of student learners and across a diversity of disciplines. Faculty members, individually or jointly, as well as course teams may submit grant proposals.
Eligible expenses include:
- Support for KPU student assistants (e.g. locating relevant OER, assisting with integrating OER into course websites, providing assistance with research, etc.).
- Development of data collection instruments and support for data collection and analysis.
- Conference registration fees, such as for the Open Textbook Summit or Festival of Learning.
Note: These grants are limited to $2000 and so may not be applied to time releases for instructional faculty.
Expectations of Grant Recipients
- Publication of the OER with an open (Creative Commons) license.
- Publication of the OER in an open, editable format (e.g., Pressbooks).
- Acknowledgement of the support from the OER grant in the publication(s).
- Storage of the OER in an open repository (e.g,. KORA).
- The OER will follow the guidelines in the BC Open Textbook Accessibility Toolkit.
- Participation at OER workshops or seminars during the project.
- Sharing of experiences with the KPU teaching and learning community.
- A brief summary report (up to 2 pages) submitted upon completion of the project.
In Kind Contributions
Grant recipients will benefit from the support of the Associate Vice Provost, Open Education, the expertise of librarians, who can assist with identifying suitable OER, the application of Creative Commons licenses, and training in the use of Pressbooks, and the assistance of Teaching & Learning Commons staff, who may assist with instructional design and integrating the OER into Moodle.
Proposals will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- The extent to which they include curation, adaptation, or creation of open educational resources (OERs)
- The inclusion of plans to re-use the OERs in courses in subsequent semesters
- The potential reuse of the OERs by other instructors
- The number of students impacted by the displacement of commercial textbooks or other educational resources
- The application of principles of open pedagogy
- The plan for the ongoing review/update of the OERs (if applicable)
- Review the information in this application form: OER Grant Application Fall 2019.docx
- Complete all sections of the application form
- Sign the form and obtain the signature of the Dean of your Faculty
- Submit your application to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications will be reviewed three times a year (May 1, September 1, and January 15) until the available funding has been allocated.
Note: Some OER grant applications may be funded through Zero Textbook Cost grant funds.
OER Grant Recipients
This page is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.