The Open Education Working Group (OEWG) brings together key stakeholders from across the institution to provide advice and support for KPU’s open education initiatives, which include the creation, adaptation, and adoption of open educational resources, the development of Zero Textbook Cost (ZTC) programs, and the embrace of innovative open pedagogies.
Specific goals of the OEWG include (but are not limited to):
- Raising awareness about open educational resources (OER)
- Making OER more discoverable
- Providing opportunities for training with OER creation, adaptation, and adoption
- Providing opportunities for training with open pedagogy
- Organizing campus-wide events during Open Education and Open Access weeks
- Planning and developing ZTC programs
- Marketing and communicating KPU’s open education initiatives, both internally and externally
- Applying for internal and external grants to support KPU’s open education initiatives
- Encouraging research on open educational practices
- Developing policies, procedures, and practices in support of OER adoption and the ZTC initiative
In addition, the OEWG serves as the adjudication committee for OER grants.
- Associate Vice Provost, Open Education : Rajiv Jhangiani
- Dean: Stephanie Howes, School of Business
- Associate Vice President, Teaching & Learning : Rajiv Jhangiani
- University Librarian : Todd Mundle
- Faculty (2-3, from different program areas)
- Rebecca Yoshizawa, Faculty of Arts (2019-2021)
- Sam Newton, School of Business (2020-2022)
- Open Education Research Fellow: Deirdre Maultsaid (2021)
- Teaching & Learning with Technology Strategist : Lisa Gedak
- Scholarly Communications Librarian: Karen Meijer-Kline
- Systems Librarian : Caroline Daniels
- Open Education Strategist: Urooj Nizami
- Bookstore Manager : Kathryn Wood
- Kwantlen Student Association representative : (vacant)
Other members of the KPU community are welcome to participate as members at large.
- Committee members who are faculty will normally be expected to serve for a two-year period. Appointments are renewable.
- Resources and administrative support will be provided by KPU Open Education.
- The Committee will meet in-person at least once per semester. If a committee member cannot attend an in-person meeting, a delegate may attend on the member’s behalf. The committee is ongoing.
- A majority of committee members present at the meeting is required to pass a motion. A quorum will comprise six members.
Minutes of previous meetings
Spring 2020 OEWG meeting minutes