The deadline to submit an application has been extended until January 29, 2021.
This annual fellowship runs from January 1 to December 31 and is aimed at supporting scholarly research on open educational practices by regular faculty at KPU. This may include investigations into the cost savings, perceptions, outcomes, and use of open educational resources (see the Open Education Group’s COUP framework) as well as research on the perceptions and impact of renewable assignments and other forms of open pedagogy. The research approach may be qualitative, quantitative, or mixed methods and may require approval by KPU’s Research Ethics Board. It is expected that at least one research project will be designed and conducted by the Open Education Research Fellow over the one-year term of the fellowship and that the results of this research will be presented at relevant conferences and prepared for publication. Open access publication is required, whether in open access journals or in an open repository (e.g., pre-print or post-print).
The Open Education Research Fellowship is jointly funded by Open Education and the Office of Research Services.
The Open Education Research Fellow will:
- Receive mentorship in open education research
- Participate in the annual Open Education Research Institute at KPU (held each May)
- Design and conduct research on open educational practices
- Present on their research progress at relevant KPU events (e.g., Teaching, Learning, Scholarship, & Research Symposium)
- Author 1-2 blog posts related to their open education research
- Receive up to $2,000 in funding to hire a student research assistant
- Receive up to $2,500 in funding to attend the Cascadia Open Education Summit/Festival of Learning and one other major open education conference*
*All conference participation is subject to public health guidelines put in place during the COVID-19 pandemic. This may mean that support for conference partcipation will be virtual for the foreseeable future.
The Open Education Working Group will adjudicate applications and announce the recipient by December 11, 2020.