Open House Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply to KPU?

  • If you are a domestic student (Canadian Citizen, Permanent Resident, or Convention Refugee) and have questions about our programs and how to apply, please contact the Future Students’ Office at or 604-599-3030, or visit to learn about ways to connect with our team of Student Recruitment Coordinators.
  • When you’re ready to apply, go to and follow the steps on Education Planner BC, a centralized resource for admission to post-secondary institutions in BC.
  • If you are applying to a limited intake program, please be sure to include a second choice from the open intake programs.
  • For more information, refer to

I am an international student interested in studying at KPU

  • The international department can provide detailed and specific information about coming to KPU and answer any questions you may have.
  • International students should connect directly with KPU International by email to or via their social media channels (@mykpu and
  • For more information, refer to

What programs can I take?

  • Great question! A full list of KPU programs is available at
  • More information about admission requirements can be found at
  • Consider attending an information session to receive more detailed information about a particular program. Be sure to check frequently, as information sessions are added on an ongoing basis.
  • After you’ve received an offer of acceptance to KPU, meeting with an academic advisor is highly recommended to discuss your options before choosing classes. Domestic students can schedule an appointment at and international students can schedule an appointment at

What are KPU’s application deadlines?

Semester Applications Open Limited Intake (select programs) Deadline Final Deadline*NEW
Fall (September) October 1 March 1 July 1
Spring (January) February 1 August 1 November 1
Summer (May) June 1 December 1 March 1
  • For limited intake programs, the application deadline is March 1 for the Fall semester
  • Applying as early as possible is always advantageous as it allows for time to submit supporting documents as required.

What are KPU’s admission requirements?

  • All applicants to undergraduate or graduate studies must satisfy KPU's Undergraduate English Proficiency Requirement through an acceptable High school course (English Studies 12 with a minimum grade of C+), undergraduate course (completion of 3 credits of undergraduate English with a minimum grade of C-), or testing.
  • Some programs will have additional, program-specific entrance requirements. These requirements can be found at
  • If you don’t meet KPU’s admission requirements, you can look into upgrading options for your English, math, or science courses. The Pathway is a unique model that pairs upgrading and undergraduate studies with guided support, offering students an option to begin work toward their intended undergraduate program in the Faculty of their choosing while upgrading.
  • International students who did not complete their High School in Canada or in a country where English is an official language will have to complete external modes of testing. More information can be found at

What is the difference between an open intake and a limited intake program?

  • In an open intake program, there is no limit on the number of students accepted to the program.
  • A limited intake program has a maximum number of seats available for students.
  • To see a list of open and limited intake programs, visit

Are your programs full time or part time?

  • Most of our open intake programs at KPU are flexible and can be taken either part time or full time.
    • You may choose to take classes in the Fall (September-December), Spring (January-April), and/or Summer (May-August) semesters, depending on course availability.
    • You can choose to take from 1 to 5 courses per semester; in order to be considered a full time student, you will need to take at least 3 courses per semester.
  • Most of our limited intake programs have set schedules.
    • In most cases, you will not be able to choose how many courses you take per semester because you will move through the program with a cohort of students taking the same courses in the same sequence.

How long will it take for me to complete my program?

  • This will depend on your program, credential, and how many classes you take per semester. On average (average times are based on full-time study):
    • a Certificate (30 credits) will take 6 to 12 months to complete.
    • a Diploma or Associate’s Degree (60 credits) will take 2 years to complete.
    • a Bachelor’s Degree (120 credits) will take 4 years to complete.
    • a Graduate Certificate (18 credits), or a Graduate Diploma or Post-Baccalaureate Certificate (30-36 credits) will take 1 to 2 years to complete.

I already have a degree. Do you have programs or courses I can take?

  • Yes! We have several post-baccalaureate and graduate programs. A full list of our programs is available at
  • We have a range of continuing and professional studies courses and customized training. Details are available at or by emailing
    • International students may or may not be eligible for a study permit for continuing and professional studies courses; please check with before applying.

What does tuition cost?

  • Tuition costs vary depending on the program you are taking and the number of credits (courses) you enroll in per semester.
  • You can calculate approximate costs with our tuition estimator at
  • Detailed tuition information is available in our academic calendar at

Does KPU offer scholarships?

  • Yes! KPU awards $2 million annually to KPU students.
  • The Student Awards and Financial Assistance office supports students with scholarships, bursaries, awards, grants, and student loans. For more information, please visit

How can I contact a specific department?

What is the difference between applying and registering?

  • First, you will need to apply to KPU and meet the entrance requirements for your program of choice.
  • After you have received an offer of admission and paid your confirmation deposit, you will be assigned a registration date.
  • It is highly recommended that you meet with an Academic Advisor before registering for courses.
  • For more information on the post-application process, please visit

What happens after I apply?

  • After applying you will receive an email from KPU with your student number.
  • You’ll be able to use your student number to log in to your Online Self-Service portal, where you can check your application status, find out whether you need to submit supporting documents with your application, and learn what your next steps are.
    • If you’re not able to access your Online Self-Service account at, please contact the Service Management Portal at 604-599-2116, option 3.
  • Once you receive an offer of admission to KPU, be sure to accept the offer by paying your confirmation deposit before the deadline stated in the offer letter.
  • For more information on the post-application process, please visit

Will I need to submit official transcripts?

  • All applicants will need to submit transcripts for the secondary and post-secondary institutions they have attended.
  • For more information, please refer to

What is a confirmation deposit?

  • A confirmation deposit is a non-refundable fee paid to confirm your acceptance of an offer of admission to the university.
  • Confirmation deposits will be applied to your tuition fees after you have registered for courses. More information can be found at

I have been accepted to KPU, but I’m not ready to start studying. Can I defer my offer of admission?

  • If you applied to an open intake program, you can defer your admission only once for up to a year in advance by completing a Request for Deferred Admission form before the start of the semester.
  • At the time of deferral, you must not be registered in any courses.
  • If you need assistance completing your request for deferred admission, please contact the Future Students’ Office at or 604-599-3030.
  • International students should contact for more information on deferral.

Can I work while I study?

  • This is entirely up to you! While some full-time programs offer little spare time for work, many programs are very flexible and will allow time for you to work while you study.
  • In addition to off-campus job opportunities, there are paid work-study and student assistant jobs on campus.
  • The Career Development Centre helps students enter the working world. Their services include resume and cover letter review, networking, job listings, employer info sessions, training scholarships, career days and job fairs. For more information, please visit:
  • Some of our programs offer co-operative education opportunities, where students can alternate semesters of study with paid work semesters.
  • International students will need a work permit in order to work off campus. For more information on whether you can apply, please visit:
  • For more information on Work Study and Student Assistant jobs on campus, please visit

Do you have accommodations for students with disabilities?

  • Absolutely! Please contact Accessibility Services to inquire about accommodations: