English Language Studies
English Language Studies
KPU is now offering English for Academic Purposes courses on the Langley campus. These are advanced level courses designed to help students whose first language is not English prepare for university studies. View ELS program information.
- Apply online at kpu.ca/apply
- For more information about the KPU application.
- Online registration for the English Language Studies test or send in your IELTS or TOEFL scores.
- Register for courses and check class schedules information.
As of September 2017, tuition for English Language Studies courses is free for Canadian Citizens, Permanent Residents and Convention Refugees. Other fees may be covered by the Adult Upgrading Grant (AUG) for those who qualify.
Need a credit limit increase to take ELS courses in session 2?
If you are only taking ELS courses and need an increased credit limit so you can register in session 2, please see an International advisor (for International students). For domestic students, please see ACA's advisor or a Central Advisor. Only by reviewing your learning plan can the advisor recommend a credit limit increase.
English Language Proficiency for success in today's world.
KPU's approach to English language studies enables you to quickly develop university level skills. Towards the end of your Diploma in English Language Studies, KPU allows you to take one or two university courses alongside your English studies.
Permission to Register and Prerequisites
Students are expected to meet all course prerequisites and co-requisites as listed in the current course calendar. Waivers may be requested if you can clearly demonstrate that you have the equivalent skills and knowledge. Students are responsible to complete the "Permission to Register" form and contact one of the department Chair(s): Susan.Saint@kpu.ca or Lynette.Manton@kpu.ca for their signature and then the student must take the form to Student Enrolment Services for processing.
A Right Class for You
Do you want to improve your English to…?
- Upgrade your English skills to get into college or university?
- Advance your speaking, listening, reading or writing skills to get the marks you want in college or university?
- Improve your employment options or job performance?
- Develop your academic skills in English?
English Language Studies at a Glance
Please visit our online calendar for program admission requirements and detailed descriptions of diploma courses and preparatory courses.
At KPU’s English Language Studies Department, we offer you many advantages:
- English you need for academic and professional success
- Undergraduate elective credits available at the advanced levels
- Academic and student support services
- Small classes with highly trained instructors and staff
- Accelerated learning schedules
- Customized learning options
- Library, computer labs, and learning resources
- Part of the BC Articulation and Transfer system
- Tuition is free for Canadian Citizens, Permanent Residents and Convention Refugees (not including mandatory student fees)
Time and Location
We offer classes on the Surrey, Richmond and Langley campuses.
12666 72 Avenue
20901 Langley Bypass
8771 Lansdowne Road
When to Apply
|To Start In||Apply By|
How to Apply
- Fill out an online application
- Submit IELTS or TOEFL iBT test results ( taken within 2 years ) or register in person to take the KPU ELS Placement Test
- Register for Courses
- Book a time to talk to an Academic Advisor
Are you a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or someone with a "Protected Person" status? If so, you may be able to get financial help through the B.C. government's Adult Upgrading Grant (AUG). To apply, please visit any Student Awards and Financial Assistance Office on any campus in person. You can also download both the AUG Application and AUG Fee Deferral Form and complete them yourself.