Skip to main content

COVID-19 coronavirus information and KPU's response [Read more]

KPU Surrey Campus

You are here



Academic Standing

What happens to my GPA of I withdraw from a course?

If you officially withdraw from a course, it will not be included in the GPA calculations. An official withdrawal is made before the semester deadline for course withdrawals (See the Calendar.) A late withdrawal results in a failing grade. If you experience difficulty in a course, please talk with your instructor, or Academic Advisor as early as possible. Of course, any change to your courses could affect your financial aid or student loan status. Although a ‘W’ will not affect your GPA, it will be counted as one attempt when retaking courses. Keep in mind that students are only allowed to repeat courses once.

I want to repeat a course to improve my grade - Will the old grade be erased from my transcript?

KPU considers the higher grade for calculation of GPA when a course is repeated. However, the old grade is never erased from the transcript. UBC will look at the average of the two grades while SFU will look at the higher of the two when calculating your entrance GPA.

How many times can a class be repeated?

A student may repeat a course once and would need permission to register a third time. A "W" counts as one time. No student may repeat a course for additional credit.

What if I need to repeat a course more than once?

Students retain the right to apply for special consideration to register in a course for the third time by submitting a request for special approval to Student Enrollment Services. Students who attempt to register for a course a third (or higher) time without prior approval will be blocked by the online registration system.

In the case of a repeated course, the grade used in computing Grade Point Average (GPA) will be the highest grade received. The grades for all attempts will remain on the student’s permanent academic record and will appear on their transcript.

How many times may I register for a course?

In accordance with Policy C.20 a student may register for the same course a maximum of two times. A withdrawal is considered a registration. Students are not permitted to register in a course a third time unless they have prior approval.

Should a student not successfully complete a course within two attempts, an appeal form must be completed and returned to Student Enrolment Services (SES). Processing time is typically 5 - 7 business days and approval is not automatically granted.An appointment with an academic advisor may be required which could lengthen the process.

These forms will only be accepted by SES once the timetable for the upcoming semester has been posted. The deadline for submission is the last Friday before the start of a semester.

Please note that receiving approval to repeat a course does not guarantee that it will be offered during that term or that a seat in the course will be available. If you do not register for the course that semester you must submit a new request for a future semester.

Repeat Course Request Form

What is Academic Warning/Probation?

A student who has completed a minimum of 9.0 semester credit hours and has achieved a CGPA of less than 2.00, the student will be placed on Academic Warning. A student on Academic Warning may not repeat a course for which a grade of C or better has been assigned.

A student who has been on Academic Warning, has completed a minimum of 18.0 semester credit hours and has achieved a CGPA of less than 2.00, will be placed on Academic Probation. A student on Academic Probation may not repeat a course for which a grade of C or better has been assigned.

A student who is on Academic Probation and who has completed a minimum of 27.0 semester credit hours and whose TGPA and CGPA are both less than 2.00 will be referred to the university President for a decision as to whether the student shall be Required to Withdraw for a period of not less than six (6) months, or other action should be taken.

Students who are required to withdraw are not permitted to enrol in undergraduate courses, but can, where applicable, enrol in university qualifying courses during their six (6) month withdrawal period.

I have been required to withdraw - What do I do now?

A student who has been Required to Withdraw may appeal for re-admission to the university for a term which begins at least six (6) months after the student was required to withdraw. The Application for Re-admission must be submitted by the application deadline for the term for which the student is applying, and must be accompanied by an Educational Plan. Applications will be accepted no more than one month prior to the application deadline unless the student has already been away from the university more than six months. Late applications or late Educational Plans will not be accepted due to the time required for review.

The Associate Registrar (or designate) will review the Educational Plan. The student may be required to discuss it further, by telephone or in an interview, with the Associate Registrar (or designate), or may be referred to Academic Advising. Once the Educational Plan is complete, the Associate Registrar will confirm whether re-admission to the university on Academic Probation has been granted. If re-admission is granted, the student must have completed a minimum of 36.0 semester credit hours before further action will take place

What is an Educational Plan?

The Educational Plan for students applying for reinstatement must be developed with an Acadmic Advisor and it must include:

  • The reasons for the poor performance
  • The steps taken or that will be taken to rectify the problem(s)
  • The major activities since leaving the university
  • Any courses taken elsewhere (must submit transcript)
  • Any activities undertaken to upgrade academically or improve study skills
  • Educational goal, including reasons for changing or not changing the goal
  • Letters of reference from employers or instructors may be included

Course Planning

What do you mean by the terms "prerequisite" and "corequisite"?

A prerequisite is a course which must be completed (usually with a grade of 60% of higher) before another course may be started. A corequisite is a course which must be taken at the same time (or before) another course.

Is there a test I can take if I don't have the right prerequisites for Math or English?

If you do not have the required Math or English prerequisites you may write KPU's Math Placement Test (MPT) and or English Placement Test (EPT). You can sign up for these tests at Student Enrolment Services. For more information, please visit the Assessment & Testing website at

Can a High School prerequisite expire?

For pre-requisite purposes, our system does not consider the age of courses. For instance, if you have submitted a high school transcript that shows English 12 with a grade of "B", the system will allow you to register for ENGL 1100 no matter how old the course is. The same is true for Math and Science courses, but if such courses are old enough to cloud your memory of their content, you are probably well advised to do some reviewing. You can reaffirm your Math skills by taking the KPU Math Placement Test. There is no risk. Placement tests do not override actual course grades.

What if I need to upgrade a course prerequisite?

If you are thinking about a program of studies that requires English, Math or Science courses as admission requirements or as course prerequisites, you may find it necessary to improve a grade you have or to take a course for the very first time.

Don't jump to conclusions about the need to upgrade. Check the prerequisites for your required courses, or the requirements for your intended program, in the KPU Calendar. Unless stated in the Calendar, there are no age limits on courses.

Once you know that you require academic upgrading, determine where you stand in relation to your goal. Sometimes it is just a matter taking a missing course. First instance, you have Math 11 but need Math 12. Sometimes the grades you have are not quite high enough. For instance, you have English 12 with a grade of "C+", but you need a "B". In this case you might take the KPU English Placement Test (EPT) or the ACP English Assessment to see if your writing skills meet post-secondary standards, or you might concede that your skills could stand improvement and register for one of ENGQ 1097, ENGQ 1098 or ENGQ 1099 to improve your writing skills. Similarly, in Math you may challenge your existing grade or check out where your Math skills stand by taking the KPU Math Placement Test (MPT) or ACP Math Assessment. You can book any of the assessment through our Student Enrollment Services at any campus. You must have a KPU student number to be eligible to write the tests.

KPU's Academic and Career Preparation Department (Qualifying Studies and ABE Programs) offers a wide range of upgrading courses, both individual-paced and semester-based. If you do not qualify for semester-based you will need to begin the upgrading process on the individual-paced basis, at a level determined by and ACP assessment.

What if I don't know what I want to study?

You might want to discuss your career goals with a counsellor. You may also want to sign up for Career Explorations, or use the web to learn about different career options. First year programs are often general enough to allow for exploration. Try to choose courses, which really interest you and research different careers options.

How will I know which text books I need?

Check your Online Self-Service account for a list of textbook requirements for your courses.

What is a Major and a Minor?

A major is the principal subject or area of concentration within a Bachelor Degree. A minor is a secondary subject area of concentration within a Bachelor Degree. Minors are optional but not required. KPU students intending to transfer to another institution to complete their Bachelor Degree will need to be aware of the program requirements for their chosen major as some of this requirements must be completed within the first 60 credits of study.

I have already completed a program at KPU, can I apply those courses towards another program?

KPU policy states that students may only use 50% of the courses applied to one program towards another program. Click here for more detailed information.

Can I take Humanities and Social Science courses as part of my Business Diploma?

You can apply Social Science or Humanities courses as electives within a Business Diploma as long as you meet the diploma requirements.

Can I take Business courses towards my Arts or Science Diploma?

You can apply a maximum of 9 credits of Business courses towards an Associate of Arts degree. These courses may only be used to satisfy the elective requirement.

Can I substitute a course requirement with another course?

In some cases, you may be able to substitute a course requirement but this must be first approved by Advising and the Office of the Registrar. Course substitution forms are available from the Office of the Registrar.


How Do I Prepare For an Appointment?

  • Research any related information to your program of study at KPU, and, if you are planning to transfer, at the university to which you will be transferring.
  • Write down specific questions ahead of time.
  • Bring all related documentation such as test results or transfer credit evaluations.  

How Do I Make an Appointment Using Advisor Connect? 

NOTE: For optimal performance using Advisor Connect, please use Mozilla Firefox. If you are booking an appointment using your mobile, once you log in to Advisor Connect, scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the mobile version on the left.   

  1. Log in to Advisor Connect using your KPU user name (student ID) and password 
  2. To schedule an appointment, click the "Search Availability" button under the Student Options menu on the left. 
  3. Select the appropriate Advising Centre you wish to make an appointment with from the drop-down menu. 
  4. Select the LOCATION (campus) for your advising appointment.
  5. Modify the search options (e.g. dates, times, days, etc.). 
  6. Click the "Search" button.
  7. Click on the available time displayed on the right for when you would like your appointment (scroll to the right to find more available appointment times)
  8. Choose a REASON for your advising appointment 
  9. Add any NOTES that will assist your Academic Advisor and click SAVE
  10. A confirmation email will be sent to your KPU email in-box. (If you activated your text messaging option from the main menu, you will also receive a text message regarding your appointment)   

How To Cancel Your Appointment Using Advisor Connect?

  1. Log in to Advisor Connect using your KPU user name (student ID) and password
  2. All of your upcoming appointments will be listed on the left under your calendar
  3. To cancel the appointment, click the X next to the appointment (at the end).
  4. Enter your reason for cancelling the appointment (optional) and click the "Confirm Cancellation" button.
  5. To make a new appointment, follow the above steps on making an appointment, starting with step 2

If you do not find your answer in any of these pages, contact us.