Skip to main content
KPU Surrey Campus

You are here

Appeals and Variances

KPU recognizes that a student has the right to request a variance of University policy, make a request for compassionate withdrawal, submit an appeal or file a complaint about instruction. For this reason, KPU provides policies and procedures through which these and similar issues may be addressed.

Before making your submission it is recommended you discuss your situation with an Academic Advisor. Please also ensure that you have read the relevant policy and procedures at



There is a $15 non-refundable fee required for the following appeals at the time of submission.

Grade Appeals

The University's policy that addresses the appeal of a course grade by a student can be found in the policy on Grade Appeals (ST3).

Students wishing to file a grade appeal should refer to KPU's Grade Appeal Procedures.

NOTE: A grade appeal may raise, lower, or leave the grade unchanged.

If you believe there was an error on your record e.g. deletions or changes to the academic record, it can be investigated without an appeal. Please contact your instructor or the Office of the Registrar for assistance.

Grade Appeal Form


Academic Integrity Appeals

The University's policy that addresses matters of academic integrity is Policy ST2 Student Academic Integrity (ST2).

Students wishing to file an academic integrity appeal should refer to the Procedures for Dealing with Academic Integrity Violations.


Student Conduct (Non-Academic) Appeals

The University's policy that addresses matters related to the non-academic conduct of students is Policy ST7 Student Conduct (Non-Academic).

In the event an allegation arises, students should familiarize themselves with the Procedures for Dealing with Conduct Violations. Further details are available at



The University recognizes that from time to time, students may wish to make a formal complaint.  The University has established procedures for doing so as outlined in policy AD2 Complaints about Instruction, Services, Employees, or University .

If the matter is not resolved by way of informal resolution, the complaint may be referred to the Administrator responsible.  In cases where a complaint of instruction is not resolved directly with the instructor, students should contact the Dean's Office directly to pursue the matter further.


Compassionate Withdrawal

Students experiencing serious medical, emotional or other issues requiring a withdrawal after the deadline, prior to the completion of the semester, may request a complete withdrawal from all courses on compassionate grounds. Due to the serious nature of the medical, emotional or other problem which would warrant a compassionate withdrawal, only complete withdrawal from all classes will be considered on compassionate grounds.  Only in unusual circumstances that can be substantiated on medical or related grounds will a partial reduction in workload be considered.

Students who experience a serious medical, emotional or other issue requiring a withdrawal prior to the last day to withdraw for the semester do not need to make a request for a compassionate withdrawal.  Students may withdraw themselves via their On-line Self Service account.

It is recommended you discuss your situation with a KPU Counsellor prior to proceeding with a request for compassionate withdrawal.

For complete information, please refer to Policy ST13.

Request for Compassionate Withdrawal Form


Requests for Variance

Requesting a policy variance is a formal request to ask the University to waive its legally authorized policies and regulations.

Policy Variance Worksheet

Your submission must include:

  1. The appropriate form.
  2. A letter including:
    • Your full name
    • Your student number
    • Date of request
    • Clear rationale for your appeal or request
    • Remedy being sought
    • Your signature
  3. Documentation supporting your request, for example:
    • Medical documentation
    • Financial documents
    • Letter of support from a counsellor
    • Letter of support from an instructor
    • Death certificate or an obituary from a public newspaper.

Completed submissions may be submitted to Student Enrolment Services on any campus, emailed to or mailed to:

Office of the Registrar
12666 72 Avenue
Surrey, BC, Canada V3W 2M8


Frequently Asked Questions

  1. When should I submit my request?
    • It should be submitted to a Student Enrolment Services office (any campus) within 20 business days of the date you became aware of the situation. In the case of a grade appeal, 20 business days from the date the grade is posted.
  2. How long does it take for the outcome?
    • Typically 2–3 weeks to process and usually within 20 business days from the date of submission. This is an approximation of the time involved in making a decision as the number of submissions fluctuates throughout the year.
  3. What are extenuating circumstances?
    • These are defined as circumstances beyond one's control, for example a sudden illness or death in the family, medical or emotional illness or serious injury of the student. Simply deciding to attend a different school or accept a job offer are not considered extenuating circumstances.
  4. What is considered supporting documentation?
    • For example, a letter from a doctor, medical notes, financial documents, letter of support from a counsellor, letter of support from an instructor and, in cases that involve a death in the family, a death certificate or an obituary from a public newspaper. Documentation must specifically support your submission.
  5. How will I be informed of the outcome?
    • You will receive a letter in the mail to the address we hold on your student record. Please ensure your address is up to date in your Online Self-Service account as any correspondence will be sent to this address.
  6. How will you contact me if you require further information?
    • If further information is required you will be contacted via the telephone number we have on record (ensure it is up to date on your Online Self-Service account) or via your KPU email account (no other email address will be used).
  7. Can I file a request to have the "W" grade(s) removed from my transcript?
    • "W" grades are only removed from a transcript when an error was made by the University. Students should note that a grade of "W" is not a punitive grade; it does not impact the GPA or credits passed/failed.
  8. Can I pursue my request further if it is denied?
    • You may pursue an appeal of the decision rendered only on the basis of alleged unfairness or bias in the decision making process, as described in the outcome letter you receive. You must do so, in writing, within 10 business days of the date of the letter and it should be addressed to the Office of the Registrar.
  9. How can I check on the status of my request if I have not had a reply after 20 business days?
    • You may email to ask for a progress check after 20 business days.
  10. Can a third party make a submission on my behalf or check on the status?