All research at KPU is reviewed according to criteria designated by the Tri Council Policy Statement: Ethical Conduct for Research Involving Humans (TCPS 2, 2018 version) and KPU’s RS1 Policy and Procedure. All applications for REB Review are now submitted online through the ROMEO Researcher Portal. Instructions for submitting an application and training materials on using the ROMEO system can be found below.
What is Research?
Research is defined as an undertaking intended to extend knowledge through a disciplined inquiry or systematic investigation. The U.S. Department of Health & Human Services defines research as, “a systematic investigation, including research development, testing and evaluation, designed to develop or contribute to generalized knowledge.” (HHS (US) 46.102(d))). Some quality assurance, quality improvement studies, or program evaluation activities do not constitute “research” and therefore do not fall within the scope of the REB. However, we strongly recommend you discuss your project with the REB Coordinator regarding any REB exemptions.
Before you begin your application
- All researchers must complete the TCPS 2: CORE – Tutorial online, which provides an introduction to the TCPS 2 document. Upon completion, researchers will receive a Certificate of Completion that then must be submitted to the KPU REB.
- Please read through the following REB Guidelines for Ethics Review of Research.
- If the research deals with aboriginals in Canada, the applicant must read Chapter 9 (Research Involving First Nations, Inuit and Métis People of Canada) of the TCPS 2 Ethical Conduct for Research Involving Humans (2nd Ed.)Researchers also need to consult section E.1.c in the RS1 Procedure for KPU guidelines.
- Register for an account on the ROMEO Researcher Portal by visiting the ROMEO F.A.Q. for detailed information, or contact the Coordinator, Research Ethics at email@example.com for help.
- Training sessions for ROMEO are available one on one through the Research Ethics Coordinator. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information and to book a training session.
NOTE: Undergraduate students wishing to apply for Ethical Clearance for research, must have a supervising Faculty member, who acts as Principal Investigator on the project. Applications must be completed and submitted through the Faculty member's ROMEO account.
Submitting your application to ROMEO
- Download, print, and read through the Instructions for Faculty and Staff. These detailed instructions will guide you through the process of crafting and submitting an application for REB Review through the ROMEO Online system. You can also download an Application Template to fill in prior to working online.
- Submit the REB application in ROMEO, remembering to attach copies of all consent forms, advertisements, survey instruments, etc.
- If this research has been approved by another institutional REB, a certificate / letter of approval will need to be attached to the application when in ROMEO.
- Applicants will receive confirmation from the REB coordinator once your application has been submitted to ROMEO.
- If there are any changes required to your application, applicants will receive notification from the Research Ethics Coordinator about the changes required. Applicants will then need to go back into ROMEO and amend the original application. Detailed instructions will be sent to the applicant from the REB.
- Once the application has been approved, the applicant will receive a Certificate of Approval from the REB.
- According to KPU's RS1 Research Involving Human Participants Procedure, an on-going report (typically annually) is required to be submitted to the REB. In addition, a final report must be submitted within 60 days of the completion of data collection. Applicants will receive notification from ROMEO when the Annual or Completion of Data Collection reports are due with the instructions on how to submit an amendment and End of Project Report
Revising an Application
- All revisions to research ethics protocols must be approved by the REB.
- If applicants need to revise an application, please first contact the Research Ethics Coordinator with a detailed message outlining the proposed changes. Applicants will then receive instructions from the ROMEO system on accessing and amending the original application. No research can take place until the new protocols have REB approval.
- How to submit an amendment and End of Project Report
Go to ROMEO
- Faculty and Staff application Instructions.docx
- Consent Form template Sept 2016.docx
- REB Annual Report of Research.docx
- REB Report of Completion of Data Collection.docx
For Additional Help
Contact Foluso Margaret, Research Ethics Coordinator, KPU