Co-op Work Permits

Co-op International Students: Your Guide to Applying or Extending your Co-op Work Permit

Welcome to the Co-op Program at KPU! This guide is tailored specifically for our international students who are already accepted into the program and are looking to apply for a Co-op Work Permit. Follow the steps below to ensure you meet all the necessary requirements.

Applying or Extending your Co-op Work Permit

  1. Check Your Eligibility: Verify that you meet all the requirements to apply for a Co-op Work Permit. Review the information about applying for Co-op Work Permits:

    Remote video URL
  2. Request a Co-op Work Permit Letter: After enrolling in COOP 1101, request a Co-op Work Permit Letter from the Co-op office. This is a crucial document that you will need to include in your Co-op Work Permit application. You can request your Co-op Work Permit Letter using the form below.
  3. Apply for Your Co-op Work Permit: Complete your application online via the IRCC (Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada) website. For questions or guidance on applying for your Work Permit, reach out to KPU International Advising Office for assistance. You can use this guide to complete your Co-op Work Permit Application

    Act promptly to extend it, ensuring uninterrupted access to Co-op jobs or continued employment with your employer. Applying for an extension or status change before your current document expires can grant you 'maintained status.' Submit your application online before midnight UTC on the expiry date, allowing you to continue your activities as per your original document's conditions during IRCC's decision process. This is essential for Co-op students to maintain access to Co-op opportunities. Your Co-op Work Permit will not be issued beyond the validity of your study permit. If your study permit is expiring soon, you will need to extend both documents together. Please inform us if you've applied for a work permit extension to prevent any disruptions to your Co-op Status. If you need guidance, don't hesitate to contact a KPU International Advisor.

  4. FINAL STEP - Submit Your Co-op Work Permit or Approval Letter in Career Connection: Once you receive either your initial Co-op Work Permit Approval Letter (IMM5754) through the IRCC account or your actual Co-op Work Permit (IMM1442-B) in the mail, you can submit these documents in Career Connection.

    1. Log into Career Connection

    2. Similar to uploading a resume in Career Connection, navigate to your profile and select 'My Documents'

      Career Connection My Documents

    3. Click 'Add New' to open the form to submit your document

    4. Make sure to select 'Co-op Work Permit' as the document type. (Your submission will be reviewed and verified and your Co-op status will be updated based on the completion of your requirements.)
    5. Click 'Submit'

    After submitting a valid Co-op Work Permit or extending your Co-op Work Permit, your Co-op eligibility will be reevaluated based on your program continuance requirements to grant you access to Co-op job opportunities.

Why It's Essential to Act Early

Timing is everything. The sooner you obtain your work permit, the earlier you can apply for jobs and secure a placement. Make sure to start your Co-op Work Permit application as soon as you enroll or complete COOP 1101. Please note that the typical processing time for Co-op Work Permits in Canada can range from 3 to 5 months. It's crucial to plan ahead to ensure you don't miss any opportunities. You can check the processing times here.

Request Work Permit Letter Here

Each request will be reviewed and verified by the Co-op team. Only eligible KPU students who are in the Co-op program and have registered or completed COOP 1101 course will be granted the letter. For any questions, email

Kwantlen Polytechnic University (“KPU”) collects your Personal Information in accordance with section 26 of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (“FIPPA”), R.S.B.C. 1996, c.165 for the purposes of participating in the Co-operative Education program. If you have any questions about the processing of your Personal Information, please contact the Co-op team at