Swiss Business Summer School
During the summer semester, our partner university in Switzerland, the University of Applied Sciences of Northwestern Switzerland, is offering a great two-week summer school program for Swiss and International Business students. As a KPU student, you can receive a special rate for this program if you apply through KPU. In addition to Business classes, an attractive visitor program will make this experience an unforgettable. This program features a guided tour of Basel as well as excursions to cultural and historical sites in the city and beyond. It also includes field trips to different Swiss companies.
- Participants of the summer school learn in pre-course readings about international trade and companies’ competitiveness and the main drivers behind this concept and respective measurements.
- During the first course week they get to know concrete analysis methods about the concept of countries’ comparative advantages and their companies’ global competitiveness, and how governments contribute to companies’ favourable terms and conditions.
- During the second block students become familiar with private product innovation and business model innovation.
- Students understand the links between public support factors, innovation and companies' competitiveness.
- Finally Students get to know economic causes and effects of international labour migration.
Competitiveness, Innovation, and International Migration
July 21 to August 2, 2019
Domestic Student (Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident)
We are pleased to announce that there are a limited number of tuition-free seats available for KPU business students, waiving the 950 Swiss Francs tuition. As a result, the program fee for KPU students is only 400 Swiss Francs for excursions/cultural events, plus 600 Swiss Francs for on-campus accommodation, totaling 1000 Swiss Francs. These costs do not include flights, health insurance, visa costs, meal and personal expenses, or any independent travel.
The accommodation fee includes an overnight stay in a 2 or 3-bed studio (incl. own kitchen and bathroom, no air-conditioner) or a similar accommodation and taxes.
KPU International and the School of Business have partnered to offer a limited number of scholarships to Business students participating in this program! This scholarship totals $500 - $1,000 CAD towards your program fee, accommodations, excursions, and cultural events.
** Participants will be accommodated close to the university campus in studios with their own kitchen and bathroom. Breakfast is not included. The accommodation is located in downtown Basel in quiet and safe neighbourhoods. Amenities and shops are within walking distance.
Scholarship opportunities to help students pay for the Summer School is available.
Click here for information on scholarships and other financial assistance options.
KPU students will receive 3 credits for BUSI 2490.
The Summer School is a two-week seminar which is taught in English by internationally experienced lecturers. The courses build on at least two years of business studies. They are academically challenging with a strong applied management focus. The interaction between students and lecturers is highly encouraged. Lecturers are experts in their fields and experienced practitioners. Upon completion, credits are awarded for:
- Adaptation of the preparation literature.
- A composition of two short briefing papers on questions set by the lecturers based on the preparatory literature.
- Participation in the Summer School (contact hours, company visits, cultural and social activities).
- Essay revision at the end of the two weeks (2 hours).
- Apply here online requested on the summer school page.
- Write an additional statement of interest (500-750) outlining how this program fits into your personal, academic, and career goals, and upload this on the online application.
- As well, upload your Resume (CV) and your transcript. Note: you can use the transcript from your KPU account.
- Complete the application by May 15th, 2019.
May 15th 2019.
Richmond Campus: R1400
Surrey Campus: Cedar 1145
Photos & Testimonials from Past Participants
“[…] The people were what made this trip unforgettable. The lecturers and organizers of this program are understanding, they make an effort to help foreign students feel comfortable and receive the assistance they need. I find the buddy program to be a brilliant idea, I can’t imagine doing this program without my buddies, they have helped me adjust so that I do not feel homesick, they have shown me great hospitality and taken me out and were by my side the whole time, so you do not need to worry about not knowing anyone in the program. I feel very lucky to have experienced this summer school with an amazing group of students, whom I have established long-term friendships with.
[…] I highly recommend this summer school to anyone that is considering it, you will not regret it and you will leave feeling so grateful that you had the opportunity to be a part of such an amazing program with a great group of students. You will leave having learned cultural sensitivity, you will leave with more knowledge about business competitiveness and innovation which is crucial to organizational success, you will leave with knowledge and experience as to why Switzerland has consistently been one of the top countries in the world, you will leave with lifelong friendships and unforgettable memories in the most beautiful country in the world!”
-KPU Business Student
Click the following document to read the full testimonial: FHNW Summer School 2016 Testimonial.pdf
Partner University Promotional Video