The Richmond Library received Knowledge Infrastructure Project funding for a $1.2 Million renovation of existing space. Work is well underway with architects Bingham Hill selected.
- On Wednesday, March 23rd, the Richmond library will not be open until 9:00 a.m. It wil be open until 11:00 p.m.
- The open computers have been expanded - there are now 100 computers available to students in the library!
- The Learning Centre is full functional in the library.
- On Saturday March 5th, the library will be open from 12-4.
- The week of February 14th will be a very busy one as we bring in new furniture, computers, lighting, and shift our book collection. We apologize for noise and look forward to our computer and collection expansion!
- The Lab will be closed Friday, February 11th to install new lighting. Thanks for your patience!
The renovation is 90% complete! Most study rooms are open, the new lab is operational, and we expect 50 new open computers by mid-February!
- The Lab will be closed for the morning of Friday, January 28th.
Between December 17th and 22nd, there will be several moves within the Richmond library due to our ongoing renovation. What does this mean to you?
The following functions should still work for you:
- We will be able to check out material to you but we will not be able to renew material. You will also be able to return your library material.
- Wireless will be available.
- Study space will be available.
The following functions may not be available:
- We will not be able to issue new cards or put money on existing cards. Please go to the Bookstore to have money added to your card.
- We will not be able to lift Library holds on Registration. Please contact one of our other Libraries to have your hold lifted:
- Surrey 604 599 2103
- Langley 604 599 3204
- Cloverdale 604 598 6043
- We will not be able to accept any payments.
- Carpet tiles are being replaced. Thanks for your patience with the noise this brings!
- If you are unable to access a row of books, please ask at the checkout our information desks and we will be happy to assist you.
- September 7th - Contractor mobilizes - expect moderate noise.
- September 10th - we will move our circulation counter. We will be unable to issue cards or add copy/printer money to existing cards that day.
- September 13th - demolition begins!Ear plugs will be available in advance!
- Our periodical back issues will be shifted to their new location in preparations for the demolition work.
- Our relocated shelving may be secured to the floor.
- Expect a higher than normal noise level!
- Week of August 5th : parts of our collection will be shifted within the library. This will cause moderate noise as the shelving is dismantled and moved. Our apologies for the inconvenience.
- July 29/30 - the Richmond workroom relocates within the library
- July 27/28 - the Archives moves to its new Surrey location
- July 22-26 - Technical Services moves to its new Surrey library location
Will the library be open during the renovation?
You bet! We will be open our regular hours and hope to run regular services. We may have infrequent service interruptions but plan to be a fully functioning library for the duration of the renovation.
What will the noise level be like throughout the renovation?
It will vary and we will warn you if we are going to have a particularly noise day. However, for the most part, construction slows down after 3:00 p.m. You are welcome to use the space any time during the day but the atmosphere in the afternoons and evenings will be more 'library like' (shhh!).
Can I still book study rooms?
Yes you can. Most study rooms are currently available.You can book them online as you usually do. More study rooms will be available as the renovation moves along.
What will the new space look like and include?
Our new space will feature:
- 100 student computer stations (up from 52 currently)
- 8 study rooms with sliding glass doors (up from 6 currently)
- 68 bays of new shelving
- 90 student seats for studying and casual reading
- New copy room with print/copy solution now in place at Surrey; space for 3 copy/print stations
- New checkout counter
- New information desk
Construction begins July, 2010 with a completion date prior to New Years 2010. Visit this page often for updates!
updated : 16/02/11
updated by: cd