Experience how your studies at KPU interact with one of the world’s most dynamic cultures. This interdisciplinary field school challenges you to situate your background in trades, music, fine arts, languages, political science, or economics, to name but a few, within its theme of Music and Culture. Visit UNESCO World Heritage sites in Havana, Cienfuegos, and Trinidad, trace the impact of the trans-Atlantic slave trade, and feel the influence of the African diaspora.
The Cuba Field School and ARTS 3100 course operate within an interdisciplinary framework. In other words, students will collaborate with others from various programs and disciplines across KPU. Students will form interdisciplinary cohorts of 3-5 people to investigate broad questions or issues affecting Cuban society. Research and investigation will take place in pre-departure classes, while in Cuba, and after returning home.
- Attend concerts in Havana, Cienfuegos, and Trinidad.
- Participate in Interactive workshops hosted by the professional artists.
- Attend lectures with prominent Cuban scholars.
- Tour sites of historical and cultural interest.
- Explore craft agriculture operations.
- Meet students and faculty from two Cuban fine arts schools.
- Bask in the tropical sun.
Havana, Cienfuegos, and Trinidad
Travel Dates: May 29th to June 12th, 2018
$3450. This includes round-trip airfare from Vancouver to Cuba, 14 nights’ accommodation in an air-conditioned hotel room with a private bathroom (based on double occupancy), all ground transportation between the airport, hotels, venues, and visits as outlined in the itinerary, daily breakfast and dinner, entrance or participation fees for site visits, performances, workshops, and tours, guide/translator services, Cuban tourist visa, and the Cuban airport tax.
There is an additional charge of $350 for any participant who would like single-occupancy accommodations.
Payment Due Dates
March 22nd: $500 - Non-refundable deposit
Note: The deposit goes towards the program fee.
Field school scholarships are available for applicants
Click here for information on scholarships and other financial assistance options.
ARTS 3100 (6-credits). Classes are instructed by KPU Faculty. The exact day/time for classes is TBA.
30 credits of 1100 level or higher courses. Students must be 19 years of age by the time the field school commences. If you do not meet the pre-requisites, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and ask how you can still apply for this great opportunity.
Ready to Apply?
Apply to join us on the Cuba Field School in three easy steps:
- Start your online application here.
- Submit your completed application.
- Pay your $500 deposit by cheque (made out to Kwantlen Polytechnic University) to the International Office at the KPU Surrey (Cedar 1145) or Richmond campus (RM 1400) by March 22, 2018.