For prospective students

What is the KPU application process for international students?

The following are 12 key steps to submitting your application. If you are unsure about any of these steps, please click on the button for more information.

Step 1: Choose your program of study and determine that you meet its admission requirements

1. What programs are available for international students?

Please visit the University Calendar to see the latest programs that KPU offers. It includes all the academic programs at KPU, the requirements for admission, the curricular requirements for graduation, the dates of the academic terms, and the fees. It is published annually by the University Registrar.

You can choose your program of study at KPU and determine if you meet the program entrance requirements.

There are two admission intake types: An open intake is an application cycle for which a limit has not been set on the number of students admitted. A limited intake is an application cycle in which a limit has been set on the number of students admitted. Some limited intake programs have additional admission requirements.

2. Are there additional admission requirements for certain programs?

Yes, some programs may have additional program requirements. The requirements for each program can be found on the University Calendar.

3. What if I can't decide on which program I want to study?

Talk to us! Our helpful International Academic Advisors will be happy to help you discover a program that's your perfect fit. 

4. What are KPU's English proficiency requirements for admission?

 English Proficiency Requirements are listed on the University Calendar

Step 2: Check the application deadlines

5. What are KPU's application deadlines for international students?

 Fall (September)Spring (January)Summer (May)
Applications OpenOctober 1 February 1 June 1 
Application deadline for Limited Intake programsMarch 1 August 1 December 1 
Application deadline for Open Intake programsApril 1 September 1 January 1 
Deadline to Accept Offer*June 1 October 1 February 1 
Deadline to Provide Proof of Study PermitAugust 15December 15April 15

*Deadline to pay confirmation deposit and accept the offer of admission. Any offers not accepted by the deadline will expire and be rescinded.

Note: Selected Limited Intakes may extend the application deadline if space permits.


For further information on international application deadlines, please visit https://kpu.ca/admission/deadlines-fees. English Language Studies courses are offered 6 times per year. For application deadlines please contact KPU International at international@kpu.ca.

Step 3: Submit your application

6. Can international students apply to KPU online?

Yes. Prospective students from anywhere around the world can apply to KPU online.

7. Does KPU charge an application fee?

The application fee is CAD $120 for international students.  Please note that applications are considered incomplete without payment of the $120 application fee and cannot be processed.

8. What methods of payment does KPU accept for the application fee?

KPU accepts the following credits cards for payment of the application fee: VISA, MasterCard, and Discover. We also accept VISA Debit and VISA Gift Cards as methods of payment.

9. How can I submit my documents?

KPU requires all credentials to be sent directly from the institution attended. Please send your documents to: C/O KPU INTERNATIONAL, Room 1145, Cedar Building, 12666 72 Avenue BC, Canada V3W 2M8. Please remember to include your student number in all your documents.

  • English Proficiency Testing: Please provide KPU International with a copy of your official results by mail or email international@kpu.ca.
  • High School Transcript: KPU requires all credentials to be sent directly from the Institution attended. Notarized copies are not acceptable (unless results can be verified online).
  • Post-Secondary Transcript: Please order an official transcript to be sent to KPU directly from your college/university, showing final grades for all coursework completed to date. Applicants are required to submit official transcripts for all post-secondary institutions attended.

Scenario 1: I'm currently a high school student overseas. How do I send in my documents?

The documents you will need for your application include:

The results can be scanned and emailed to us at international@kpu.ca

  • Your study permit may be scanned and emailed to us, or brought on orientation day.

*Note: prospective international students from India and West Africa can have their high school transcript sent online through email. The student may send it from their Email.

Scenario 2: I'm an international student that graduated from high school in BC. How do I send in my documents?

  • You may bring your high school transcript to us in person; however, it must remain sealed and must not be altered in any way.
  • Your English 12 grades will be taken as your English proficiency qualification. You must have a C+ in English 12 to be admitted. If you did not receive a C+ in English 12, you may be eligible for our Pathway Program. Click here for more information.
  • You must apply for a post-secondary Study Permit and bring it on orientation day.

Scenario 3: I'm an international student studying at a post-secondary education institution in Canada. How do I send in my documents?

It depends on what type of documents you are required to submit, as each document varies in terms of whether or not they are verifiable online, our own KPU forms, or Post-Secondary transcripts. Below are the most common documents types that we need:

IELTS/TOEFL/LPI: As IELTS have a TRF number on the bottom right corner of the form, we are thus able to verify and enter the result electronically. You may feel free to email us your IELTS scores at International@kpu.ca as long as the Test Report Form (TRF) number is legible. For TOEFL and LPI, they follow the same procedure as they can be verified online.

Third Party Waiver, Passport Copy, Agent Authorization, and Study Permit: As all of these documents are for our own record to be put in your student file, they can also be submitted online.

High School Transcript: For BC high school, they can be submitted in person, or by mail in an official, sealed and stamped high school envelope. Alternatively, official BC transcripts can also be requested through the BC Ministry of Education and have your grades be downloaded electronically into your student file at KPU. For other provinces, it would need to be mailed to KPU in an official, sealed and stamped high school envelope.  

Post-Secondary Transcripts: Post-Secondary Transcripts must be sent directly to KPU from the issuing institution. This is true for all institutions.

Scenario 4: I'm an international student studying at a post-secondary education institution overseas. How do I send in my documents?

It depends on what type of documents you are required to submit, as each document varies in terms of whether or not they are verifiable online, our own KPU forms, or Post-Secondary transcripts. Below are the most common documents types that we need:

IELTS/TOEFL/LPI: As IELTS have a TRF number on the bottom right corner of the form, we are thus able to verify and enter the result electronically. You may feel free to email us your IELTS scores at International@kpu.ca as long as the Test Report Form (TRF) number is legible. For TOEFL and LPI, they follow the same procedure as they can be verified online.

Third Party Waiver, Passport Copy, Agent Authorization, and Study Permit: As all of these documents are for our own record to be put in your student file, they can also be submitted online.

High School Transcript: These documents vary from country to country. Some transcripts can be verified online, most others will need to be sent to KPU in an official, sealed and stamped high school envelope. Therefore, you must refer to this website on the appropriate procedures for transcript submission: https://kpu.ca/international/admissions-requirements

Post-Secondary Transcripts: Post-Secondary Transcripts must be sent directly to KPU from the issuing institution. This is true for all institutions.

10. What if I requested transfer credit for my previous post-secondary courses?

Your transfer credit evaluation will only be reviewed once all requested documents are received on your application checklist. If you do not see "Transfer Credit Evaluation" on your application checklist, then you did not request transfer credit on your online application. Please proceed to www.kpu.ca/transfercredit to complete a request form.

Please note that we need to compare the courses and curricula between your previous post-secondary institution and KPU’s equivalent courses. Therefore, the process of transfer credit will take approximately 8 weeks after all documents are received.

Step 4: Check your online self-service and KPU student emails regularly

11. How can I find out the status of my application to KPU?

After submitting an application for admission to KPU, you will receive an email from us containing your log in information for Online Self-Service and KPU Student Email. Make sure to log in frequently to check on your application status, outstanding checklist items, and transfer credit.

Your KPU student ID number (nine digits) is your user ID. First time users will use their birthdate as their PIN: DDMonYYYY. If you've changed your password and have forgotten it, click "Forgot PIN" to reset it.

You can check your status online anytime through Online Self-Service. If you would like to speak to someone about the status of your application, contact KPU International. 

online sef service KPU

Step 5: Complete your admission checklist

12. How do I complete my admission checklist?

If there are any documents or admission requirements outstanding on your application checklist, we are unable to proceed with your evaluation. Please make sure you submit all your documents as soon as possible!

Official transcripts must be submitted for the most recent high school the applicant attended, and all post-secondary institutions an applicant attended. An official transcript can be requested from a provincial department of education or a secondary/post-secondary institution. Official transcripts must be received in a sealed school envelope bearing an official stamp or seal or they will be deemed unofficial. Learn More About Submitting Transcripts.

Limited intake programs may require additional documents. Please review the Academic Calendar and your application checklist to ensure you understand what is required.
Examples of additional documents may include: Information Session, Portfolio Review, Volunteer Hours, Reference Letters, Interview, Typing Test, Letter of Interest

You can view your Application Checklist through Online Self-Service, selecting the Student Menu tab (top of the screen) > Admissions > View Your Application Status






Step 6. Wait to hear from KPU International

Once all items on your application checklist have been received, KPU International will begin evaluating your file.

Applicants who are admissible to their desired program will receive an e-mail offer of admission letter, which will inform you of next steps, such as instructions for paying a confirmation deposit and accepting the offer of admission. If your offer is conditional, the conditions to remain admissible will also be outlined in your letter.

If you are not admissible to your first choice program, KPU Admissions will assess whether you are admissible to your second choice application, or an alternate program.

13. How long does it take for KPU International to process my application?

  • For online applications, we will send you the next step letters within 7 business days.
  • After all your documents are received by our office, we will assess them and provide you with an offer letter within 15 business days if you have met all the admission requirements.
  • Upon receipt of the confirmation deposit, we will send you an acceptance package within 3 business days.

Step 7: Accept your offer letter by paying the non-refundable deposit

14. How do I accept an offer letter?

Applicants who are provided an offer of admission are required to accept their offer of admission by paying a non-refundable* commitment deposit of $5000 CAD for Open and Limited Intake programs.

The deposit is only refundable if the applicant’s study permit is denied by IRCC. Proof of denial must be presented to request a refund.

Step 8: Receive your acceptance package

15. How do I receive my acceptance package?

Upon receipt of the confirmation deposit, we will send you an acceptance package consisting of the following documents within 3 business days:

  • Letter of Acceptance
  • Budget Sample Letter
  • Immigration Letter

The package will be sent to you via email. Please check your KPU email account and read through the package. 

You should start applying for a TRV/eTA and a Study Permit once you receive your acceptance package. Please take a look at Step 9 for further instructions.

You should also start looking at student accommodation options. KPU has partners that help students find suitable accommodations. Please visit the following link for more information: https://kpu.ca/international/accommodations

16. What is conditional admission?

Conditional admission provides admission to the university, provided that you complete and meet the General University Admission Requirements and any other conditions as outlined in your conditional offer letter. Students that are conditionally admitted are still provided access to register into courses. Final acceptance is granted when all outstanding conditions have been satisfied. Students that do not meet the conditions of their offer of admission will be contacted by KPU International.

17. What if I am currently completing pre-requisites for a course at KPU?

Students with prerequisites in progress at KPU can register even though their final grades have not been recorded. However, if the prerequisite is not satisfied once grades are received, you will be dropped from the class.

18. What if I want to defer my admission offer?

Students may defer their admission for a period of up to one year. Additional conditions are outlined in the Request for Deferred Admission Form.

Step 9: Apply for a TRV/eTA and a study permit

19. What is a study permit?

This is the official document issued by an Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) officer that allows a person who is not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident to study in Canada. Generally, if you are not a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada you must obtain a study permit in order to study in Canada. Check out the IRCC website for more details: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study-extend.asp

20. When should I apply for my study permit?

You should apply for your study permit as soon as you have received your acceptance package from KPU. Please refer to the following link for more useful information http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=480&top=15

21. How do I apply for a study permit?

Once you have received your acceptance letter and immigration package from KPU, you will need to apply for your study permit. It is your responsibility to ensure that you apply with sufficient time to obtain a study permit. Please refer to the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website for processing times and a list of required documents needed to apply for your study permit at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/index.asp

You can apply:

22. How long will it take to get my study permit?

Please check the following link to find study permit processing times for your country. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/index.asp  

23. Do I need a visa to come to Canada?

A Temporary Resident Visa or TRV will be required by some students in order to enter Canada at the border. A Temporary Resident Visa is an official document that is placed in your passport by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) to show that you have met the requirements for admission to Canada. When a TRV is required at the border, it will be in addition to a valid study permit. While a valid study permit authorizes you to live, study and work in Canada, many will require a valid TRV to cross the border into Canada in order to pursue their studies.

To find out if you will require a TRV, please visit this page on IRCC’s website: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp. For detailed information on how to apply for or renew your TRV, go to: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/cpp-o-apply.asp.

It is recommended that you keep your TRV up-to-date for the duration of time that you are studying in Canada, in case you need to leave the country on short notice. Before you apply to renew your TRV, please ensure that your passport and study permit are renewed and up-to-date. You will require a Confirmation of Enrollment from KPU. You can print a Confirmation of Enrolment letter using online self-service (kpu.ca/oss) by following these instructions: https://www.kpu.ca/records/coe

Travelers from visa-exempt countries may still require an eTA or Electronic Travel Authorization from IRCC before using air travel to enter Canada. Your eTA will be confirmed by airline staff before you will be permitted to board an international flight to Canada.

For detailed information and to find out if you will require an eTA for your travel, please visit this page on IRCC’s website: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/eta.asp

It is important to note that a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV), an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) and a Study Permit are different: a TRV or eTA allows you to enter Canada, while a Study Permit allows you to remain in Canada after entry. You will need to apply for both a TRV/eTA and a study permit. They will be issued to you at the same time.

24. How and when should I extend my study permit?

You should extend your study permit approximately 3 months (90 days) before it expires. Please see the following link for information and instructions on how to extend your study permit. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study-extend.asp

An International Academic Advisor can provide you with a study permit extension letter to submit to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) as a supporting document for your application to renew, in order to indicate the length of time remaining for you to complete your program. Make sure your passport has been renewed and your current study permit is on record at KPU before beginning your application to renew.

To apply for a study permit extension letter from KPU, you must be currently enrolled or enrolled in an upcoming semester and your study permit must be expiring within 90 days. Fill out the Study Permit Extension Letter Request form and submit it to the KPU International office in Surrey or Richmond campus: https://www.kpu.ca/international/internationalstudents/study-permit-extension. Please allow 15 business days processing time. You will be notified at your KPU email address that your letter is ready for pickup with photo ID.

Your study permit extension letter will be one of the supporting documents that you will submit to IRCC with your application to renew your study permit. Detailed instructions on the supporting documents required to apply for or renew your study permit, can be found on the “Get the Right Documents” page on IRCC’s website: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5552-applying-change-conditions-extend-your-stay-canada-student.html#step1 .

25. If I'm transferring to KPU from another institution, do I need to apply for a new study permit?

You may change your school, program, field of study or level of study (e.g. from the Bachelor level to the Masters level) without applying for a new study permit. You do not need to apply for a change to the condition of your study permit, either. You may continue to use your study permit as long as it is valid. Get step-by-step instructions on how to notify IRCC that you have changed DLI’s using your account.

Step 10: Register for courses

Course Planning for Registration

Every semester you will select courses, build a schedule and register yourself into your courses, using KPU's online registration system (kpu.ca/oss). 

Registration begins approximately 6 weeks before the start of each semester.

TermDurationRegistration Starts
Fall TermSeptember –DecemberMid July
Spring TermJanuary – AprilMid November
Summer TermMay – AugustMid March

Course planning with an International Academic Advisor will help ensure that you are taking the right courses in your desired program of study. We recommend meeting with an International Academic Advisor at least once every semester to make sure your studies are on track and to select your courses for the next term. 

Students should select courses based on their program requirements, academic goals, and interest in the subject matter. The primary sources of information you will need to construct your course plan will be:

  1. Your list of program requirements on KPU’s online Academic Calendar https://calendar.kpu.ca/programs-az/.
  2. The Course Descriptions on KPU’s online Academic Calendar https://calendar.kpu.ca/courses-az/
  3. The current semester’s published timetable https://kpu.ca/registration/timetables

Is the course you want to take full? Remember to keep checking back—new sections and seats are often added daily during the registration period. 

Are you a Pathway student? Find out which courses you should take in your first semester here.

Students must ensure they meet all pre-requisites and co-requisites for the courses in which they register.  

Pre-requisites: If there is a specific educational background that a student will require in order to be successful in a course, pre-requisites will be set up in KPU’s registration system.  You will need to complete the pre-requisite courses (usually with a grade of 60% of higher) before being permitted to register in the course.  

Co-requisites: Similar to pre-requisites (see above), co-requisite courses must be completed before or at the same time to ensure the student has the necessary background to succeed in a course. 

Before registering for courses, please ensure that you have no scheduling conflicts by consulting the Timetable: https://kpu.ca/registration/timetables.  

Click below for the important information about registration at KPU: https://kpu.ca/calendar/2018-19/ar/registration.html


26. How do I register for courses?

You may register for your courses online at your Online Self-Service account. Please note that you will be able to register only during your registration date and time. This information will be sent to you by email after you pay your confirmation deposit. You should register during your assigned registration time to avoid being on a waitlist for courses. You can view the registration tutorial video to better understand the registration process: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIWWAKMMnzM&t=6s

If you need extra assistance please book an appointment with an advisor at https://kpu.ca/advising/advisor-connect or email: internationalstudents@kpu.ca

The Registration Guide will serve as a source of information for you to register at Kwantlen Polytechnic University. Follow the instructions below to register in the appropriate courses for your program. 

KPU's Registration Guide:

KPU's Registration Guide provides detailed, step-by-step instructions on how to register: https://kpu.ca/registration/howto

Registration Rules and Responsibilities:

Please be aware that by registering yourself into a course, you are agreeing to pay tuition fees to KPU. Be aware of the deadline to drop a course with a 100% refund (https://kpu.ca/registration/dates). It is your responsibility to familiarize yourself with this list of registration rules and responsibilities: https://kpu.ca/registration/rules

Common registration errors:

If you encounter an error message, while attempting to register into a course, you may find this list of common registration errors helpful in diagnosing the problem: https://kpu.ca/registration/howto

27. How do I find my registration date and time?

You can find your registration date and time on your Online Self-Service account. You can find the information under Registration > Check your registration status > Select your term. Information regarding how to access your registration time and how to register into your classes can be found at https://kpu.ca/registration/howto

28. Do I have to pay the registration deposit before I can find out my registration appointment time?

You can find out your registration appointment time prior to paying the deposit; however, it must be paid before you can register into courses. You can pay the deposit online, in person, or by mail, but make sure you allow enough time for processing (we recommend you allow at least three days’ processing time).

29. Can I change my registration time?

No. Registration priority is assigned according to the University Registration Priority Policy (C.30). A student's registration priority is assigned in accordance with the University Registration Priority Policy.

  • Students' Academic Standing will impact the scheduling and priority of their registration date and time.

30. What if I miss my registration appointment time?

You will have access to the online registration system from your registration time through to the end of the registration period (check under Dates and Deadlines in the Registration Guide).

31. Can I register on the phone or in-person?

All registration occurs online via your myKwantlen account under the Online Self-service tab. If you experience problems with registration, please contact KPU International.

32. How do I pay for my courses?

You can pay for your courses online using your Online Self-Service account if you wish to pay by credit card. For other ways to pay, please check: https://kpu.ca/registration/howtopay.

33. If I don't register for courses can I get my registration deposit back?

If you do not attempt to register after paying your registration deposit, the registration deposit will remain in your account and enable you to register for up to two additional semesters. If you register and later drop your course(s) or are dropped for non-payment of your fees by the Fee Payment Deadline or are dropped due to lack of pre-requisites, the deposit will be forfeited.

34. Why can't I register into the courses I want to study?

This could be due to one of the following reasons.

  • Pre-requisite(s)/co-requisite(s) are unmet - Students who do not meet the pre-requisite/co-requisite requirement will not be able to register into the course.  Students who are currently taking or have taken the pre-requisite/co-requisite course with a minimum grade of C can register into the course.  
  • Pre-requisite - required course or qualification that a student must obtain before registering into the course
  • Co-requisite - required course or qualification that a student must obtain either before registering into the course OR in the same semester the student registers the course
  • Linked course, register for both parts - You tried to register for a course in which there are two parts (e.g. a lecture and a lab).  You must select and register in both parts at the same time (enter two CRN’s).
  • Time conflict with CRN XXXXX - You cannot register into this section because you have already registered into another course that has the lecture, lab, or exam scheduled at the same time.  In order to register into this course, you will need to change your schedule.
  • Program restriction - You tried to register for a course that is restricted to students in a particular program.  Since you are not in the particular program, you cannot register into this course.  If you should be in the particular program, please see an international advisor.
  • Repeating course or equivalent more than X time(s) is not allowed - You have tried to register for a course that you have already attempted or taken twice before.  You must complete the “Appeal to repeat course form”.  Please submit the form to the International Advising Office (Surrey Cedar 1145 or Richmond 1400) if the course is a 1st or 2nd year course OR to Student Enrolment Services if the course is a 3rd or 4th year course.
  • Waitlist - Your class is full, please put your name onto the waitlist.  A notification email will be sent to your KPU email account once a seat becomes available. Students have 24 hours from the point of notification to register into the course or remove themselves from the waitlist. If a student does not accept the seat offer by the deadline, the student will be removed from the waitlist and not receive any further notification.

35. How can I drop a class?

You will have to access your Online Self-Service page, login with your student number, got to Student Menu, Add/Drop a Class, and select the class you would like to drop.

Step 11: Pay your tuition fees

36. How much does tuition cost?

Effective Fall 2018, the cost per credit is $658.03/credit for new or readmitted international students. Kwantlen Polytechnic University (KPU) requires international students on a study permit to take a minimum of 9 credits per semester in order to maintain their full-time student status. Please note while most courses are 3 credits, some courses may vary. 

37. How can I pay my tuition?

There are several ways that you can pay your tuition:

  • In person at student enrolment services. Sign up at the KP-Queue, and have either cash or cheque ready with you.
  • You can pay online using your Online Self-Service Account.
    • Mastercard is accepted (2% convenience fee applied).
    • Interac E-Transfer (no convenience fee).

Step 12: Attend new student orientation

38. How do I attend the new student orientation?

Orientation at KPU introduces programs and resources to help students prepare for university life. Please plan to arrive in Canada in time to attend orientation. Details and registration information can be found at https://kpu.ca/orientation

General questions

39. How do I change my program?

You may change your program at any point during your studies at KPU. Meet with an International Academic Advisor to see how the courses you have completed can be applied toward your new choice of program.

If you change your program to a different Faculty, you will need to submit a Change of Faculty form: (https://www.kpu.ca/sites/default/files/Registrar/Change%20to%20Application%20for%20Admission_0_0.pdf

The students may need to submit additional supporting documents to demonstrate your qualifications for the program.  For detailed information on the supporting documents required to apply to a limited intake program, please refer to KPU online Academic Calendar: https://kpu.ca/calendar/2018-19/program_indices.html .

The following deadlines apply:

  • Limited intake program: submit the form at least 6 months prior to start of term requested
  • Open intake programs: submit the form at least 3 months prior to start of term requested

40. What about accommodations?

KPU has partners that will help students find suitable accommodations. Please check: https://kpu.ca/international/accommodations

41. Can I take courses at KPU while completing my English upgrading?

Yes – that’s the great thing about the Pathway to Undergraduate Studies! As a student in the Pathway Program, you can complete your upgrading through our Faculty of Academic & Career Preparation (ACP) while taking certain undergraduate courses made available through our other Faculties. For example, if you’ve been admitted to the Melville School of Business, you can begin pursuing your Business courses at the same time as you complete your English upgrading. Visit www.kpu.ca/pathway for more information.

42. How many hours can I volunteer with my study permit?

Study permit holders may volunteer as many hours as they choose to. While Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) enforces strict conditions on the hours that study permit holders may work for compensation, volunteer hours are not subject to the same limits. To learn more about volunteer opportunities available at KPU, please go to: https://kpu.ca/beyondtheclassroom/volunteer

43. Can I work while studying? Do I need a work permit?

International students may wish to explore the opportunity of working either on- or off-campus while studying at KPU. Finding a part-time job can help with living expenses while going to school. International students who hold a valid study permit and are studying full time are eligible to work on or off campus. You must have the appropriate work permit in order to take part in a co-op or internship program. You also must apply for a post-graduation work permit in order to work in Canada after your studies.

To find out more information and ensure you are meeting the eligibility requirements to work off campus with your study permit, please review the following information:



To get started, bring your study permit to any Service Canada location (http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/tbsc-fsco/sc-hme.jsp) to apply for a Social Insurance Number or SIN. You must have one of the following conditions or remarks printed on your study permit in order to apply for a SIN for off-campus work:

  • May work 20 hours per week off-campus or full-time during regular breaks if meeting criteria outlined in section 186(v) of IRPR
  • May accept employment on or off campus if meeting eligibility criteria as per R186(f), (v) or (w). Must cease working if no longer meeting these criteria

Detailed information about the Social Insurance Number (SIN) can be found here: http://www.esdc.gc.ca/en/ei/employers_sin.page

If your study permit was issued without the above remarks, you must request  an amendment to your study permit with Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) before you can apply for a SIN. There is no fee for this request.

ELST students will not be permitted to work off-campus until they have completed English upgrading and have been admitted to undergraduate studies. If you are an ELST student, your study permit may have been issued with the following remarks which prohibit off-campus work:

This permit does not permit the holder to engage in off campus employment in Canada.

Once you have been admitted to undergraduate studies, you may apply to change the conditions of your study permit (fees will apply).

There are no legal restrictions preventing students from working on-campus in addition to working the maximum 20 hours per week off-campus during regular academic sessions (Fall and Spring); however, you may work full time during scheduled breaks such as reading breaks or winter/summer holidays. Please refer to the following link for more details: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=496&top=15

44. Can my partner work while I study in Canada?

To find out information about your spouse/partner’s ability to work while you study in Canada please review the following information:  http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-spouse.asp  

45. I want to work after graduation. What should I do?

To work in Canada after you graduate, you must apply for a work permit under the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP), which enables students to work in Canada for up to three years. To find out further information please review here.

If you are planning to apply for the PGWP, it is important to familiarize yourself with the eligibility requirements, so that you can plan ahead for a successful application. 

An International Academic Advisor can provide you with a post graduate work permit letter to submit to IRCC as a supporting document for your application. You no longer need to submit a request for a Post-graduation Work Permit letter, this process will be automated if you have submitted a graduation application and are approved to graduate.  Your PGWP letter will be issued to your KPU email account within 10 business days after you have been approved by the Senate to graduate.

You must apply for a post-graduation work permit within 6 months of receiving your official letter and an official transcript. The documents confirm that you have met the requirements for completing your academic program. The issued date is specified on your official letter and an official transcript.  

46. Can KPU assist me in finding work?

KPU offers a variety of services to assist you with work experience! Begin by visiting the free job posting available through KPU’s Career Connection Job Posting System. To access the job posting system and learn more about how to find a job while you study, visit the Career Services website (https://kpu.ca/careers ).

Career Services: The Career Services team wants to help you transition from a learning experience to a working experience. They proudly support all KPU students and graduates in finding meaningful employment, while working closely with you to land the perfect job.

Career Connection: Job postings for KPU students are available at Career Connection https://kpu-csm.symplicity.com/ Career Connection is free for employers and students to use.

Co-operative (Co-op) Education:  Co-op students apply for and work in short-term jobs in their field of study. This is a wonderful way to get a chance to explore and experience the various career options available within your academic program area. Not only is this an incredible opportunity to acquire relevant practice in the work world, but you get paid, too! Please visit https://kpu.ca/co-op/programs to see programs with co-operative education options.

Learn more about Co-op at KPU by attending the next information session. Please go to this page to view the schedule for upcoming information sessions and learn how to sign up: https://kpu.ca/co-op/information-sessions

Work Permit Holders Studying in Canada

47. What is the new Temporary Policy for Work Permit holders and studying in Canada?

Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) announced a new temporary measure for temporary foreign workers to extend study authorization to Work Permit holders:

Every year, thousands of temporary foreign workers bring their skills to Canada, helping to drive our economy and fill critical labour market gaps.

With this new 3-year temporary measure, foreign workers can study full time or part time while their work permits are valid or until the expiration of the policy, with no restrictions on the length of the program.

This temporary measure applies to those who hold a valid work permit or who have submitted an application to renew their work permit on or before June 7, 2023, and are authorized to work.  If a foreign worker wishes to study longer than the duration of their work permit, they still need to apply for a study permit.

48. I have a valid open Work Permit Visa. Can I study at KPU?

Similar questions:

  • I have an open Work Permit for three years at the Canadian border under the CUAET measures in place. Do I need to apply for a study permit if my program will be completed before my work permit expires?
  • I have a PGWP valid for three years, what are the conditions to study without applying for a study permit?

As per the IRCC temporary policy, yes, you are eligible to study at KPU with your valid open work permit if you are one of the following two cohorts for this extended study authorization:

  • Foreign nationals who hold a valid Work Permit on or before June 7, 2023;
  • Foreign nationals who submitted an application to renew a work permit on or before June 7, 2023, and are authorized to work as per R186(u).

Kindly note that this policy will be valid for the next 3 years (until June 27, 2026). KPU will ask for the following documentation to ensure study authorization has been granted by IRCC:

1.           A valid work permit, indicating the date of issuance and expiry; or

2.           A work authorization letter that IRCC issued when the client applied for the work permit extension.

49. Is there a restriction on which type of program I can study with my Work Permit? 

No, there are no restrictions on programs. You can study any program offered at KPU.  Please note that some of the limited intake programs may have additional admissions requirements and limited seating. Please contact International@kpu.ca for more information.

50. If I have a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) that is set to expire upon graduation, would I be eligible to obtain a second PGWP?

Applicants can receive only 1 post-graduation work permit in their lifetime and will not be eligible to obtain a second PGWP.

51. Am I eligible to receive PGWP if I started my study with an open Work Permit Visa?

If you are studying at KPU only with your open Work Permit, you are not qualified to receive a PGWP. Please visit here for detailed information regarding PGWP eligibility.

52. I am a Work Permit holder and was admitted to KPU before the new measures was announced. Do I still need to submit a Study Permit to start the September intake?

If you hold a valid Work Permit issued on or before June 7, then you can study at KPU with the current Work Permit without applying for a separate Study Permit.

53. My Work Permit will expire in one year. Can I start a Diploma or a Bachelor's program?

Yes, you can study at KPU with your current Work Permit; however, you will need to apply for a new study permit if the length of the study program is longer than the duration of your current Work Permit.

54. Am I eligible for the domestic tuition rate if I study with a Work Permit?

No, you are still considered an international student, and as such, the international tuition fees will apply. *If you are a student from Ukraine under CUAET measures in place, please contact the International Department.

55. What documents do I need to submit to study with a Work Permit Visa?

Please submit your Work Permit Visa (must be issued before or on June 7, 2023) and an IRCC eligiibility letter (if available) to international@kpu.ca.

Can't find what you are looking for? Ask a Question.

Disclaimer: KPU strives to provide the most up-to-date immigration information. However, the KPU International FAQ page is not a legal document, and the information therein is subject to change without notice. Please ensure to visit the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website for the most updated information: http://www.cic.gc.ca/