Want to make a real difference to student life at KPU? Become a Peer Tutor with the Learning Centre! In helping others you will also help yourself to become the best learner you can possibly be. Join our team NOW!
We hire tutors in all subject areas, such as WRITING, ENGL, MATH, SCIENCE, BUSI, HRMT, ENTR, ACCT, BUQU, INFO, ECON, DESIGN, POST BACC and more. Writing tutors can be accepted from any discipline. All successful applicants should be able to work a minimum of six hours per week and be available to work both online and in-person during scheduled times.
Qualifications for the position:
- Be registered as a KPU student
- Maintain a minimum GPA of 3.0
- Have completed at least 24 credit hours for regular students and 18 credit hours for post baccalaureate students
- Provide references from TWO KPU instructors in the area you want to tutor in to support your application
While the pay is minimum wage, the working conditions and training are superb! There are three levels of training for which you receive a badge for your eportfolio or online status. We can offer you up to 15 hours of work per week and you will be paid for the training you are required to do. Apply now!
- To help KPU students to understand main course concepts, how to follow assignment structures, and how to improve their performance in their coursework
- To provide feedback on students' assignments and to provide students with ways to improve their work
- To help students to identify and find the assistance they need
- To assist with transition, orientation and retention programs
- To assist with the promotion of The Learning Centre (TLC) services and programs
How does tutoring help me?
Tutors receive three levels of certified tutor training along with the development of a professional portfolio. Such training, which is badged, provides tutors with workplace training and experience, communication skills, and high level problem solving skills. These attributes are highly valued in workplaces and in graduate school. As well, after training, our tutors are able to work as private tutors and feel confident and highly competent in working with a range of students who wish to excel in their studies. As you gain experience, you will be given opportunities to build your academic and leadership skills through facilitation of review sessions, peer-led workshops and other TLC initiatives.
How do I apply to a tutoring position?
Student Assistant positions are now posted in Taleo, KPU's applicant tracking system. You can still view Student Assistant jobs in Career Connection and be redirected to Taleo to apply.
Through Career Connection:
- Log in to Career Connection
- Click the Jobs tab. In the Position Type drop-down menu, select Student Assistant.
- Apply to positions of interest (You will be redirected to Taleo to apply for the position.
- Check your KPU email for information about your interview time.
- Attend an interview.
- Create an account in Taleo
- Once you are logged in, click New Search
- Under Employee Group, select Student Assistant
- Apply to positions of interest
The application process is the same as for other types of employment. If you qualify for an interview, the hiring manager will contact you directly.