Resources for Business Faculty and Students
A series of Learning Aids and Study Guides, specifically aimed at Business program students and faculty, helps our integrated Peer Tutors to support their learning within individual courses. There are some examples:
BUSI Study Guide Learning Aid
BUSI Study Guide Sample
BUSI Case Study Learning Aid
BUSI Multiple Choice Learning Aid
Resources for Your Students
Support for Faculty: Resources and Consultations
The Learning Centre would like to invite faculty members who are interested in offering office hours online or who would like to be a faculty tutor to use our online platform, Tutor Ocean. Please visit tlc.kpu.ca and login with your KPU ID and password to get started.
Faculty Strategies for Supporting Students in a Multicultural Classroom
Strategies for Supporting Students in Online Learning
- Supporting Student Learning Online: Cognitive Load: This infographic provides strategies for presenting information in ways that promote optimal learning.
- Online Learning: Supporting Student Metacognition and Self-Regulation: Online learning requires students to develop effective skills in regulating their learning processes. This infographic provides practical strategies for supporting students in developing these skills.
Support for Assignments and Rubrics
Writing assignments for an online learning environment can be challenging. Without the opportunity to explain the assignment to students face to face, the written assignment instructions become even more important. One of the best ways to refine assignments to promote student success is to work with a colleague outside of your discipline. Learning Strategists can help you to formulate your assignment instructions and rubrics to be accessible for students. Please reach out to the Learning Centre firstname.lastname@example.org
Incorporate Learning Strategies into Your Course
In an online learning environment, providing specific information about how to learn can support student success. The Learning Centres have resources that you can embed into your Moodle site.
- Videos: Kaltura and Youtube (Tip: Turn these into an interactive quiz using H5P).
- Learning Aids (1-2 page student focused resources on key learning skills)
- Self-Paced Workshops (Tip: Consider assigning a workshop as a part of the course participation/ contribution to learning requirements. Students can prepare a short summary to demonstrate their learning).
Request Course-Specific Support
Do you have a need for course-specific support this semester? Please reach out to the Learning Centre email@example.com
Refer a Student
From time to time, you may wish to refer students to a Learning Strategist or Peer Tutor. Students do not require a referral to visit the Learning Centre, but some may feel more comfortable contacting the centre with this guidance from their Instructor. Please note that Learning Centre staff will not inform faculty of student visits unless signed permission is obtained from the student.
Mentor a Peer Tutor
Faculty play a vital role in our Peer Tutor program. Each tutor is matched with a faculty mentor each semester, and for many, this is a highlight of their time as a Peer Tutor. Download our Faculty Mentor program guide to learn more.
Hold Office Hours in the Learning Centre
Consider holding some of your office hours in the Learning Centre. We can even connect you with a platform for holding online office hours. Contact the Learning Centre on your campus to find out more.