Study Permit

Most international students are required to have a valid study permit from Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) in order to study at KPU. This page is a resource that helps international students at KPU understand the conditions, requirements, and other important details of their study permits.

What is a study permit?

A study permit is an official document issued by an Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) officer that allows a foreign national to study in Canada. You will need a study permit if you study at KPU and your program is 6 months or longer. For more information on study permits and who is exempt from the requirement of a study permit, visit the following webpages on the IRCC website:

Go to top ↑

Conditions of your study permit

As a study permit holder, you must maintain your student status. This means you must: 

  • Be enrolled at KPU and showing that you’re actively pursuing your studies by:

    • Being enrolled full-time or part-time during each academic semester (excluding regularly scheduled breaks) 

    • Making progress towards completing your program’s courses, and 

    • Not taking authorized leaves longer than 150 days from your study program 

  • Tell IRCC anytime you change the post-secondary schools, and

  • End your studies if you no longer meet the requirements of being a student, and 

  • Leave Canada when your permit expires, and 

  • Follow the other specific conditions listed on your study permit 

For more information on your study permit conditions, please visit the IRCC webpage.  

Go to top ↑

How to apply for your initial study permit

Unless you are exempt from the requirement of a study permit, you will need to apply for your study permit as soon as you receive your Letter of Acceptance (LOA) from KPU. Please visit the ‘How to Apply for Your Initial Study Permit’ webpage for a step-by-step guide on applying for your initial study permit.  

How to apply for your initial study permit

Go to top ↑

Extending your study permit

The expiry date on your study permit tells you when you must stop studying and leave Canada. If you're planning to study in Canada past the expiration date, you must renew your study permit before it expires. Study permits can only be renewed from inside Canada. For more information on how to extend your study permit, please visit [PAGE TO COME]. 

Go to top ↑

When to extend your study permit

If you want to keep studying past the expiration date on your study permit, you must apply to extend your study permit at least 30 days before it is set to expire. 

  • Make sure your passport does not expire at the same time - your study permit cannot be extended beyond your passport's expiry date
  • Visit the IRCC webpage on when to extend your study permit for further information

Go to top ↑

Processing times

To get the most up-to-date information regarding processing times for your study permit extension application, use the Check processing times tool on the IRCC website. 

  • Select application type: Temporary residence (visiting, studying, working)
  • Which temporary residence application? Study permit extension

Go to top ↑


The IRCC charges a fee of $150 CAD for study permit extensions. 

Go to top ↑

How to apply for a study permit extension

Please visit the IRCC webpage on extending your study permit for information on application procedures and required documents.

Go to top ↑

How to request a Study Permit Extension Letter from KPU

A Study Permit Extension Letter is a personalized letter with detailed information about your academic enrolment and expected completion date. You are eligible to request a Study Permit Extension Letter from KPU to extend your study permit if your study permit is expiring within 90 days, and:

  • You are registered for courses this current semester or you are registered for courses or intend to study in an upcoming semester, and 

  • KPU has a record of your current study permit, and  

  • You have no accounting hold in your KPU account 

To request a Study Permit Extension Letter, please complete and submit the Study Permit Extension Letter Request Form. You will receive your Study Permit Extension Letter via email in your KPU email account within 20 business days.

Go to top ↑  

Maintained Status (formerly "Implied Status") during processing 

One of your study permit conditions is that you must leave Canada when your study permit expires. However, if you apply to extend your study permit before it expires, you can stay and continue studying in Canada until a decision is made on your study permit extension application. This is what's known as maintained status during processing (previously, this was known as implied status). In other words, you are considered to have legal status as a temporary resident during the processing period and can continue to study at KPU. Visit the IRCC webpage on Temporary residents: Maintained status during processing for more information. 

Go to top ↑

What to do after receiving your study permit extension

Once your study permit has been extended, be sure to:

  • IMPORTANT: Send a scanned copy of your new study permit to KPU International at so that we can update your student file. You may be blocked from registering in classes otherwise.
  • Renew your BC MSP coverage
  • Renew your Social Insurance Number (SIN) - if applicable
  • Extend your Temporary Resident Visa (visitor visa) or Co-op Work Permit - if applicable

Go to top ↑

Tips for renewing your study permit 

  • Apply to renew your study permit online (while you can also apply mail, it is faster and more convenient to apply online)
  • Pay your application fee online
  • Review the application instructions before applying
  • Have your passport and study permit handy when completing your application
  • Plan to spend about an hour completing your application 
  • Review your application before submitting to catch any accidental errors
  • Apply to renew your study permit at least 30 days before your current permit expires
  • Print and retain a copy of your application for your records

Go to top ↑

If your study permit is not extended on time

If your temporary status in Canada (e.g., your study permit) has expired and you did not apply for an extension before the expiry date, you must apply in Canada for restoration of your temporary resident status and study permit within 90 days of the expiry date. You may still be eligible for restoration if you continue to meet the initial requirements for your stay and have not failed to comply with other conditions imposed. Note: You may NOT continue to work or attend school until your status has been restored and a new work or study permit has been issued.  

Please visit the IRCC webpage on restoration of temporary resident status for more information. You can also refer to the IRCC webpage on how to restore your status as a student. 

If you have any questions or need support, please meet an International Advisor.  

Go to top ↑

If your study permit extension application is refused

If your immigration document has been refused, you can apply again at any time, unless your decision letter says you can’t. It is recommended that you apply again if you can include information that you did not include before. If you have any questions or need support, please bring the IRCC refusal letter and meet an International Advisor for further discussions.  

Go to top ↑

Disclaimer: KPU strives to provide the most up-to-date information. However, this webpage is not a legal document, and the information therein is subject to change without notice. Please ensure that you visit the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website for the most updated information.