KPU Immigration Purpose Document
Full-Time Status and Part-Time Status
- A student who is enrolled in nine or more credit hours in a semester (including undergraduate and preparatory courses) is considered to be full-time at KPU.
- A student who is registered in less than nine credit hours of study in a semester (including undergraduate and preparatory courses) is considered a part-time student at KPU.
Under an extenuating or unforeseen circumstance that adversely affects the student's academic progress, an international student may request and be approved to take an authorized leave after a review of the request and any supplementary documentation. If the request is approved, the student will receive a Letter for Authorized Leave. The student does not become exempt from their obligations to comply with IRCC policies and requirements by receiving the Letter for Authorized Leave.
- Break between academic semesters
- The day after posted full-term final exam period until the day before the start of the next semester.
- Reading break in the Spring semester
- KPU's Scheduled Break
- One of the Spring (January to April), Summer (May to August), or Fall (September to December) terms in a calendar year (January to December) provided the student remains enrolled full-time at KPU in the term preceding the break and in the term following the break.
* During a scheduled break (Fall, Spring, or Summer) a student can take full-time studies, part-time studies, or a break from studies. If a student withdraws from a course(s) during this semester, their scheduled break does not change.
* According to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada, to be considered a regularly scheduled break, the break must be part of the DLI's academic calendar (for instance, winter and summer holidays, Reading Week). Each regularly scheduled break should not be longer than 150 days. The maximum cumulative duration of scheduled breaks is 180 days per calendar year (date modified: 2019-06-24).
Studying and Working in Canada as an International Student
- Work Eligibility Requirements for Working On or Off-Campus (IRCC)
- How many hours you can work off-campus during scheduled breaks (IRCC)
Last updated: September 2, 2021